It’s the next day after the big breakup on New Girl, and “Big News” finds Nick and Jess trying to figure out what’s next.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Steven Tshuda
- Writers: Kim Rosenstock, Beverly Johnson
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Big News”
The morning after their break-up, Jess and Nick scramble to keep it a secret from the loftmates. Meanwhile, Winston passes his police academy entrance exam, and demands that the gang throw him a “Honey Roast”.
- The End: The final scene, with Nick and Jess and Eric Carmen singing “Hungry Eyes,” was the highlight of the episode. It was a sweet moment.
- Coach: That 20 seconds of flashback to him crying into a phone in the bathtub and then trying to make himself throw up was the highlight of the episode. Screw that thing above about ‘The End,’ this was the best!
- Winston’s White Tux: Had to be noted. And the cute yawn thing was also good.
- Shell Beavers: Kudos to whomever thought that up. Very funny!
- Nick: Thought the cold open was a good one, especially Nick’s notes on his hands. His not understanding about “Ghost” and “Dirty Dancing” was also funny to watch.
- Schmidt: His pregnancy ramblings while Jess and Cece try to chat was funny, as was his reference to Chumbawumba. His quick reply of “It is not” to Jess when she asks if her outfit is okay was also good.
- Cat: Had to like Jess in the cat costume. Even better when Coach wonders who has one just laying around and Cece tells him Jess has four.
- Cece: Not sure the writers know what to do with the attractive model-bartender. It’s not her, so much as she has nothing to do – even though the ‘Schmidt as tutor’ plot looked promising before that was shoved aside.
We shall see how long the ‘what do Nick and Jess do now’ storyline lasts now that their relationship is kaput. Not sure if everything can just go back to the way it once was, but some sense of normalcy is sure to take hold as the show prepares to close down season three and look ahead to season four. “Big News” rolled out a few funny/clever/cute moments, but not nearly enough to merit a big score for the night.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?