Now that Mindy and Danny have revealed their feelings for each to each other, the real battle begins. For so long, they’ve been known for their quarreling ways, so it’s going to be tough to admit to everyone that they’re in a relationship. In last night’s The Mindy Project, Mindy and Danny date in secret, but their plan quickly backfires. Here’s what happened in “Be Cool” and “Girl Crush.”
- Director: Rob Schrab, David Rogers
- Writer: Ike Barinholtz and David Stassen, Chris Schleicher
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant, Glenn Howerton, Dan Hedaya
Episode Title: “Be Cool”/”Girl Crush”
Mindy and Danny try their hand at dating. But they discover redefining their relationship isn’t that easy, especially when the pharmaceutical representative whom Danny’s previously slept with enters the picture. Then, a high-profile doctor and Mindy’s idol, tries to poach her.
- Be Cool/Staying Friends: Mindy and Danny try to keep their relationship a secret from the rest of the practice, but soon discover it can’t be done. Mindy wants to tell everyone but Danny has a lot of reservations. Eventually, Danny decides that he doesn’t want to pursue their relationship anymore because he’s a pessimist. In a heartbreaking (and touching) scene, Danny tells Mindy he can’t not have her in his life because she’s his best friend and dating would jeopardize that. This is a classic guy move, and as Mindy calls it, a “cowardly” thing to do when a guy doesn’t want to come off as a jerk. Well, Danny is a jerk for breaking up with Mindy. Why did he have to lead her on in the first place? But then again, he’s not just some random guy. He’s Danny. We know he loves Mindy, perhaps not as a lover, but definitely as a friend.
- Dating Speculation: Jeremy and Morgan think that Mindy is actually dating Peter. All of their clues send them in that direction, which is hilarious. Peter’s the only one who knows about Mindy and Danny so he throws himself into her business without realizing that Jeremy and Morgan think he’s using her for sex.
- Famous Mindy: Mindy gets the job offer of a lifetime. She gets courted by a fancy practice that treats super rich famous celebrities like Kanye West, Kim Kardashian and Katherine Heigl. She gives the guys a good scare, making them think that she’ll trade up. But Mindy’s conscience kicks in and she decides to stay with the people who need her – the clients without health insurance.
- “Bite your nails like an adult.” –Peter
- The Breakup: Though the breakup scene between Mindy and Danny was truly touching, the aftermath hasn’t been very honest. Mindy hardly seems sad, nor does Danny. Could it be that they didn’t really love each other? Or are they just really good at hiding their misery? We want some emotion. Also, can the writers bring back Mindy’s best friend? She needs her right about now.
Things didn’t work out between Mindy and Danny, but we have a feeling their fling isn’t over. They mean too much to each other. As for the prestigious job offer, we’re glad Mindy didn’t take it. She loves fame, but she’s smarter and better than that.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m.