In this week’s episode of Girls, Patti LuPone shows up and sends Hannah into a frenzy. After Adam gets a part in a Broadway play, Hannah starts to second-guess her life with the world’s greatest boyfriend. “Incidentals” also focused on Marnie’s sketchy relationship with Ray, and Jessa’s new normal way of life.
- Director: Richard Shepard
- Writers: Lena Dunham, Sarah Heyward
- Cast: Lena Dunham, Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, Adam Driver, Alex Karpovsky
Episode Title: “Incidentals”
Hannah is warned that Adam will change since he’s been cast in a Broadway play. Jessa gets an unexpected visit from Jasper. Also, Marnie’s captivated by Adam’s cast mate.
- Boyfriend of the Year: It’s hard to believe that there was a time when Adam treated Hannah’s heart like monkey meat. It feels like a lifetime ago. Now, he’s a changed man, and possibly the world’s greatest boyfriend. Girls isn’t known for its lovey-dovey romance, but last night’s episode was pretty sweet, and not in a cheesy way. Hannah interviews Patti LuPone for an advertising piece in GQ, but instead of focusing on her, the singer shamelessly tells Hannah that having her boyfriend in a play could spell danger for their relationship. Though Hannah freaks out at first, she handles the situation well. In the end, she tells Adam exactly how she feels about his sudden success thus avoiding a potential catastrophe. It’s good to see these characters learn from their mistakes. It means there’s some growth going on somewhere. Finally, the scene with Hannah and Adam in the tub of the Gramercy Park Hotel is adorable, and the follow-up song (Miguel’s “Simplethings”) is a perfect ending.
- Make it Rain: Hannah’s reaction to the amount of money she’s getting paid is priceless. She’s flabbergasted when she sees her big paycheck and immediately thinks there’s a mistake. When her co-worker assures her that’s the right amount, Hannah excitingly says, “I’m just gonna walk into a store in the Meat Packing district and just be like, ‘Make it rain’.”
- Marnie Gets Dumped: Ray wants a real girlfriend. When Marnie comes over, he pours his heart out to her, telling her that he wants a relationship. Marnie, being the jerk she is, says things like, “Is this a way of getting back to the girl you could never get in high school?” And she makes sure Ray knows that their relationship meant nothing to her, even though her pain (seen later in the episode) says otherwise.
- Back Together: It was strange to see the whole gang back together. After last week’s confrontational episode at the Beach House, it seemed like the girls were going to take a break from each other. But the fact that they all put their egos aside is a good thing. Then again, they might’ve all just wanted to see the inside of a Gramercy Park Hotel suite.
- “Everyone here looks like how I’d look with a nose job.” – Adam
- “The elephant man got laid a lot.” – Patti LuPone
- “Patty Lapone just really fucked with my head.” – Hannah
- “I hate myself for loving him.” – Elijah
- The Relapse: Before we get into the details of Jessa’s relapse, let’s give Jemima Kirke a round of applause for her hilarious performance. Her boredom was our amusement. Seeing her figure her way around a kid’s store was entertaining, especially when she started spanking a baby mannequin with a plastic hand. However, Jessa’s relapse is not a joke. Jasper (Jessa’s rehab buddy) tracks her down and convinces her that she’s a wild thing. Jessa, who’s hesitant at first, eventually gives in and does cocaine. Hannah makes a note that Jessa should’ve never left rehab, but she didn’t seem angry at the fact, which begs the question – why aren’t they more angry? Does this mean we should just give up on Jessa once and for all?
“Incidentals” was a big episode for Adam. His career is moving forward and he seems to be in a good place in his life, as is Hannah. It’s great to see the group together, because they’re better (and more entertaining) when they’re united.
Girls airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on HBO.
What did you think of last night’s episode?