Although the cast of Girls has a long way to go before becoming responsible adults, Season 3 has shown a positive shift in their childish behavior. In “Free Snacks,” Hannah gets a real job at GQ, while Marnie and Ray try to start a relationship. Meanwhile, we see Jessa in action at work, and Shoshanna gets a new boyfriend.
- Director: Jamie Babbit
- Writers: Paul Simms
- Cast: Lena Dunham, Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, Adam Driver, Alex Karpovsky
Episode Title: “Free Snacks”
- Free Snacks: Hannah begins working at GQ as an advertorial writer. She soon learns that she’s very good at her job, and enjoys the attention she gets from her peers. But she also discovers that a job with perks like a salary, healthcare and a room with free snacks come at a cost. Paul Simms, who wrote Sunday’s episode, does a great job executing the feeling that comes with having to sacrifice your artistic career to maintain a good corporate job. When Hannah realizes her writing might suffer, she freaks out (and rightly so). Again, one of the great things about Girls is that it’s rooted in the real world. Hannah’s job vs. art situation is something that happens to a lot to young people , especially when it comes to places with an endless amount of Sun Chips and Cliff Bars. Hannah’s freakout is a bit self-involved (she decides to quit and then takes it back), but also relatable and honest.
- Ray And Marnie: After last week’s episode, it seemed like Marnie and Ray’s sex act was nothing more than casual, but it might lead to a real relationship (which is both creepy and entertaining). At some point, Ray goes to Marnie’s, bearing Vegan muffins and coffee, to spend time with her and watch reality TV. If she wasn’t such a horrible human most of the time, we’d awe at Ray’s gesture. Still, we can’t wait to see the reactions of the other characters once they find out about this affair – it’s going to be D-R-A-M-A-tic.
- The Hater: We met a few new characters this week, but our favorite is Kevin. Aside from having some of the best lines ever, he gets the task of telling Hannah he doesn’t like her because he doesn’t like her face. “I’m not saying you’re ugly,” he tells her, “You’re face just annoys me.” And then when she asks what she can do to make things right, he audaciously tells her, “Get a new face.” Ouch.
- “It’s a cappuccino, not a cup of chino.” – Ray
- “You just said snack room and everything blurred.” – Hannah
- “I’m Hannah and I think I might’ve overdone it on the snacks a bit.” – Hannah
- “You look like someone I dated who I hated even while I was dating them.” – Kevin
- “I dabble in the dark arts.” – Kevin
- Real Relationships: Shoshanna’s all over the place. She begins the episode by stalking Ray, but ends it by getting a new boyfriend. What’s her deal? Is this still part of her 10-year-plan too, or is she just lonely?
- Working Jessa: Jessa did end up getting a job as a sales girl at a children’s clothing store, but she’s doing a horrible, mean job. Why did she choose this place? And, how in the world did she get hired? She has a criminal record!
The word that comes to mind when trying to describe “Free Snacks” is sassy. Between Hannah’s bold go-get-it attitude and Marnie’s cheeky behavior towards Ray, this episode was filled with sass. There were a few eccentric moments, like when Hannah walked into her apartment to find Adam fake crying on the table or that disturbing aerial shot off Ray’s bare buttocks. But overall, “Free Snacks” was solid entertainment.
Girls airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on HBO.
What did you think of last night’s episode?