Adam Brody drops by as Jess’ ex-boyfriend, Berkley, on the latest episode of New Girl, giving everyone a quick moment to fondly/not-fondly recall The O.C.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writers: Nina Perdrad
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Exes”
Both Jess and Nick’s exes return to cause major problems!
- The Waitress: Sure, Adam Brody gets the publicity, but how great to see Mary Elizabeth Ellis show up as Nick’s crazy ex, Caroline? Always weird to see her and not Charlie Day close by.
- Adam Brody: Scruffy Adam Brody was a nice addition to the story as Berkely, Jess’ ex, providing some nice laughs and good chemistry alongside Jess and Nick.
- Schmidt: Very funny start to finish, especially the sequence with Winston and Coach – and three ladies – in his loft.
- Grapes: The whole Schmidt-grapes thing was hilarious.
- Godfather: Jess dropped a nice ‘Godfather’ reference by working Don Corleone into the conversation.
- Capice: Yet more Schmidt goodness: “Confirm my capice!”
- Winston: Wearing the police officers’ hat whilst gettin’ it on produced an extremely funny visual.
- Coach: Delivered a lot of funny dialogue, especially his sexual innuendo battle with Schmidt: “Take down the va-dragon…” Maybe the best exchange of the season. Awesome.
- Schmidt’s Fancy Loft: Coach’s description was great: “It looks like a European airport.” It has also has, according to Schmidt, “15 different bang spots.” That was hilarious.
- The Quote: Schmidt: “I will use the guestroom… like an animal!”
- Edit: Did anyone notice during the funny, “Va-dragon” scene between Coach and Schmidt one of the edits during their inter-cut conversation showed Schmidt with his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing at Coach during the filming? Definitely would be hard not to laugh.
- Plot: The idea that a girlfriend would want her boyfriend to have coffee with his ex to achieve some form of closure is just silly talk. But for life in the TV world, the plot worked just fine for ‘New Girl’. It almost felt for a second like something that could actually happen. But no, never gonna happen in real life. But on TV it was darn funny!
Heavy dose of New Girl this week, what with the post-Super Bowl episode featuring Prince just a few days ago. And now we have Adam Brody dropping by as Jess’ ex in an episode that might have been the best one since the excellent “The Captain” way back to episode four. Worked-up, under-sexed Schmidt is always going to deliver a ton of laughs.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?