On Sunday, Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was without-a-doubt one of the most esteemed and talented actors of our time, passed away. His sudden death left everyone shocked, and some wondering the fate of his pending projects like The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2. Lionsgate has released a statement notifying the public that everything is still on-track, and that PSH’s role as Plutarch Heavensbee will not be recast.
“Philip Seymour Hoffman was a singular talent and one of the most gifted actors of our generation,” Lionsgate said in a statement, “We’re very fortunate that he graced our Hunger Games family. Losing him in his prime is a tragedy, and we send our deepest condolences to Philip’s family.”
The studio also mentioned that Hoffman had only seven days left of shooting on Mockingjay – Part 2. Before he passed, Hoffman had already finished shooting most of his scenes. The filmmakers have decided that recasting his role isn’t necessary, and they’ll probably just work around the scenes that Hoffman didn’t get around to shooting. The films are still scheduled to be released on November 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015, as originally planned.
Besides The Hunger Games, Hoffman also had another project in development at Showtime. The late actor was set to star in Happyish, about a “succesful but self-loathing creative director at a New York ad agency.” Showtime had already ordered 10 episodes of the show, which was created by Shalom Auslander, but only the pilot had been shot. The network also released a statement, saying:
“Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of our generation’s finest and most brilliant actors. He was also a gifted comedic talent. It was a great privilege and pleasure to work with him and we are all absolutely devastated by this sudden loss. Our thoughts go out to his family at this very difficult time.”
While they didn’t offer an update on the status of the project, a source told E! (via /Film), that Happyish is unlikely to continue because Hoffman was the only actor ever considered to star. If Showtime decides they do want to move forward with said project, the pilot will most likely have to be re-shot.
What are you thoughts?