The New Girl gang celebrates their highly coveted post-Super Bowl TV slot with pop-music icon Prince, who plays himself in the episode “Prince.”
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Fred Goss
- Writers: David Feeney & Rob Rosell
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Prince”
Jess is ready to paint the town purple when a chance encounter finds her and Cece invited to a once-in-a-lifetime mansion party thrown by music legend Prince.
- The Purple One: He acted a little, he was funny, he performed…. he’s Prince! That alone wins the night.
- Cold Open: The panties banter in the opener between the guys delivered some early laughs. “Panty hawk!”
- Schmidt: His face in Cece’s breasts moment was funny, and actually sweet when they started to slow dance.
- Young Nick: Nick’s youthful portrayal of Prince – with Winston! – was good stuff.
- Fire & Ice: Did not care for Coach and Winston’s routine the first time around. Watched it again, liked it a lot more.
- The 1st I Love You: Jess’ gun-totin’ reply to Nick’s “I love you” was so awkward, yet so perfect.
- Winston: His flashback to an “I love you” moment was hilarious.
- Meeting Prince: Nick and Jess’ reactions on meeting Prince were very funny. Definitely how most people wold freak out!
- The Quote: Schmidt: “Unhand me!”
- The Man: The Ford Fusion TV ad that busted out in the middle of the episode was just too much to deal with. The guys driving up to the party in the vehicle is one thing, but from there it was full on advertisement. Gotta pay the bills, but that was much too much.
The post-Super Bowl episode was silly. That’s it. Not awesome, and not bad. Having Prince around to be cool and funny, and to perform always helps, but overall this was not a big deal – Super Bowl or no Super Bowl. Schmidt always delivers, and he had some fine moments. The Nick/Jess ‘I love you’ plot started great and ended great, but the middle was nothing special. Again, not saying it’s a bad episode, but luckily the legendary Prince stopped by to add some extra pizazz on the big night.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?