The West Coast adventure continued on last night’s The Mindy Project. After watching Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With The Wind, Mindy, who’s been recently dumped, decides to head back to New York to win Cliff back. But Danny has other plans in mind. Here’s what happened in “The Desert.”
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writer: Tracey Wigfield
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant, Glenn Howerton, Dan Hedaya
Episode Title: “The Desert”
When Cliff (guest star Glenn Howerton) breaks up with Mindy over Casey, she plans to change his mind. Meanwhile, Danny tricks Mindy into going to see his dad (guest star Dan Hedaya) in the desert.
- Best Friends Club: Peter makes his way back to New York after being humiliated on national TV in Los Angeles. He’s not in the mood to deal with the office shenanigans that usually take place. But somehow he ends up stuck in a bathroom with Morgan at odd hours of the night. They have a hilarious bonding scene where they overhear Cliff moping and cry-singing over his breakup with Mindy. Unclear of who broke up with who, Morgan and Peter take it upon themselves to cheer Cliff up with a boy’s night out (once they’re freed from their restroom prison). Unfortunately, once Peter and Morgan realize Cliff is the one who dumped Mindy, they leave him at the bar alone. Morgan’s dramatic exit is the best.
- “Did you kidnap me? This is an Amber alert.” – Mindy
- “So what’s your boyfriend like? Is he like Liam from One Direction?”– Little Dani
- Danny’s Daddy Issues: Danny finally comes face to face with his father. This confrontation has been a long time coming, and the payoff was nowhere near satisfactory. There was no heartfelt conversation, or moment of clarity where he realizes he was being an asshole. We were expecting Danny to deal with his daddy issues thoroughly, but instead he just got over them without any explanation.
- Danny and Mindy: It was only a matter of time before Danny and Mindy realized they were into each other. (The chemistry between these two was through the roof.) And it finally happened. On the airplane ride back to New York, Danny has a moment (after the plane hits some turbulence) where he realizes he’s into Mindy. The moment wasn’t all that clear, but since that scene was followed by him going to kiss her, we’ll assume that’s it. Though the kiss between them was great, the buildup wasn’t enough. It wasn’t as good as say, the first time Jess and Nick kissed on New Girl. Still, we’re excited to see what the future holds Danny and Mindy.
Last night’s episode ended on a cliffhanger. We don’t know what the future holds for Danny and Mindy, and we won’t know until the show returns in April. Overall “The Desert” left us wanting more.
The Mindy Project will return April 1.