Even on How I Met Your Mother you can’t escape the truth forever. “Unpause” gave us a glimpse into the early hours of Barney and Robin’s wedding day, but last night we only had eyes for Marshall and Lily. As we all know, “Nothing good happens after 2 a.m.” Since the whole episode takes place after the timestamp, it was just a matter of time until something went horribly wrong.
- Director: Pamela Fryman
- Writer: Chris Harris
- Cast: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan, Cristin Milioti, Bob Saget, Robert Belushi, Mark Derwin, David Mattey, Kenzo Lee
Episode Title: “Unpause”
When Barney drinks himself to Truth Serum level, the gang takes advantage.
- Future Family: Nothing was more adorable than watching Ted and The Mother banter over her extremely pregnant belly at the Farhampton Inn in 2017. As far as flash forwards go we learned a lot. Their kid’s names are Penny and Luke and the latter was born on vacation because The Mother made the mistake of listening to Ted. (Seriously, you should know better than to trust Teddy Westside with the hard stuff.) Every second these two spend together makes us wish for more; their chemistry is easy going and yet beautiful.
- Unpause: Marshall and Lilly’s pause rule for fights—one that everyone should start using immediately—could not last forever. It was fun watching Marshall try and bang his wife to sleep, especially when we finally caught sight of Barney’s penis pills. That all pales in comparison to Marshall’s dirty fight tactics. Everyone recalls Lily leaving Marshall at the end of season one; it was their greatest conflict to date. Reprising it to gain the upper hand in the Italy/Judgeship argument is the kind of nasty devices people resort to in real life. It gave real weight to the scene and their fight. Lily ran off, making the fight all the more serious, though the dark sedan and her position in the backseat kind of indicates Ranjeet might have been the one to rescue her. We know from past flash forwards that the two stay together (“How I Met Everyone Else” anyone?) but that doesn’t mean this won’t be a problem.
- Jabba the Drunk: Never having seen Baney’s range of drunkenness, it was almost a big a treat to watch him embarrass himself with the truth as it was to see him talk like Jabba the Hut. Still, all the little admissions made for an entertaining bunch of scenes. The fact that Barney wears lifts in his shoes was nearly as delicious as the penis pills he handed Marshall. There was time to pay homage to Barney’s long standing obsession with Lily’s breasts and discover Robin’s hidden wealth. The only heartbreaking was Barney admitting the Ring Bear will not be at the wedding. We’ve still got our fingers crossed though. Barney’s master plan to ruin the life of the man that stole his girlfriend all those years ago was a real surprise. Signing incriminating papers only to work with the Feds was a brilliant long con. We really missed hearing that chorus of “Barney Stinson is Awesome” because as usual, he deserved it.
- Over Answered Questions: It’s only fitting that the best man would ask the groom how he’s feeling about the wedding the night before the nuptials. But as we waited for Barney’s heartfelt answer we couldn’t help but roll our eyes. Many doubted Barney’s commitment last season so the writers have been working overtime to reinforce his love for Robin. We get it. He loves her. Now please, stop saying it every week with a dreamy expression and that sweet music playing in the background. It’s really starting to become annoying.
“Unpause” did a better job of making us laugh than last week’s slap battle. Marshall and Lily’s fight was more than compelling—we’re now more worried about what happens with them than the wedding. As always it was lovely to catch a glimpse of The Mother, hopefully there’s more of her in the immediate future. Let’s hope they give Barney a chance to show his love in the future instead of tell it, we could use a break.
How I Met Your Mother airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS.
What did you think of the episode?