It’s time to head L.A., or as Woody Allen would say, land of “wheat germ killers.” In the latest episode of The Mindy Project, some of the gang goes to California at Jeremy’s request. While there, Mindy runs into an old boyfriend, and Danny’s thrown into an awkward situation thanks to Morgan. “L.A.” also features the return of one charming Kevin Smith, who should be made an honorary cast member already.
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writer: Tracey Wigfield
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant,
Episode Title: “L.A.”
Jeremy sends Mindy, Danny, Peter and Morgan to Los Angeles to receive cosmetic injectables certification. Once they arrive, Peter attempts to track down the object of his affection, Maria Menounos. Meanwhile, Mindy runs into her ex-fiance Casey (guest star Anders Holm).
- The Catholic Way: Mindy tells Danny that she asked Cliff to move in with her, and that he told her he’d think about it. Mindy, who’s just looking for a word of advice, gets thrown for a loop when Danny tells her that one should be married first? “Wait, you’re not Catholic,” he then realizes. Seriously, just when we think he’s a normal guy, Danny always shocks us with super conservative ways.
- Kevin Smith: Kevin Smith is back and he’s great. He hangs with Mindy at Casey’s party, and teases her the entire time. Last he was on, he compared himself to Mindy implying, “Us chubby people have to stick together.” Mindy resents his remarks, but it’s all in good fun. They have a great, catty relationship. If we were Mindy, we’d love to have Smith as a friend. Enjoy it while it lasts Mindy!
- The Great Adventure: Danny and Morgan go on a great adventure in the Old West. Everything seems to be going great until Morgan tells Danny he’s suppose to meet with his father the next day. So we have that to look forward to.
- “Everybody reads in L.A. They read scripts baby bro.” – Peter
- “I’m at nightclub. It’s a Taylor Lautner appreciation party.” – Ritchie
- The Breakup: Cliff and Mindy are done. Now before you start feeling sorry for her, we’ll say he did her a favor. Who wants a boyfriend who stalks you on the internet? After Mindy tells Cliff she ran into Casey, and that she wouldn’t have dinner with him, he somehow finds out she was at a party with Casey. A party photographer took Mindy and Casey’s picture and posted it online while the party was still happening. Cliff saw it and then dumped Mindy because “he’s a divorce lawyer and can’t trust her anymore.” There are several inconsistencies with this storyline. How did Cliff figure out Mindy was going to a party? Then, how did he find the photographer shooting the event? Also, these photographs take time to upload don’t they?
- Sad Peter: Peter is all over the place. He heads to L.A. with the hope of conquering Maria Menounos’ heart. But when that doesn’t work out, he shows no signs of being sad about it. His new pursuit becomes trying to hang out with someone from Entourage. After that we don’t see him again.
Overall, “L.A.” had a very strange pace. There was too much going on that made it hard to focus on each storyline. The Kevin Smith cameo was one of the better things in the episode, but the breakup threw us for a loop, and not in a good way. It looks like next week’s episode will also be set in Los Angeles, so perhaps we’ll get some closure.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on Fox.