New Girl gets all kinds of sporty in “Basketsball” as Jess is determined to become better friends with Coach.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Lorene Scafaria
- Writers: Rebecca Addleman
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Basketsball”
Jess tries to improve her friendship with Coach, but Nick takes issue when the two of them bond over a basketball team he dislikes. Elsewhere, Schmidt mentors an older hire at work; and Winston explores a new career.
- Scottie Pippens: Nick in the old-school Bulls shorts was a sight to behold.
- Sex Tap – Off: The booty standoff between Nick and Jess delivered some fine comedy moments – especially the secy Jess head twirl, channeling some sweet Paula Abdul action.
- Officer Bishop: Best part about Winston thinking about becoming a cop was Schmidt telling him he could retroactively justify his mustache.
- Schmidt & Ed: The nattily attired Schmidt had some good one-liners – and a few sexy bedroom poses – to offer in the episode, even if his plot with Ed lost some steam at the end.
- Black Licorice: Of Schmidt’s three bedroom poses, the Black Licorice reigned supreme. But they were all funny!
- Hot Office: Every woman that works in Schmidt’s is hot! Did you see all those ladies in the board meeting?! Wow!
- Cece/Bar: It’s clear the writers needed to find a way to get Cece more involved, but her stint as bartender just doesn’t feel right.
- Basketsball: Watching Jess and Coach watch basketball started to get very old, very quickly.
Cute episode. Not mind-blowingly funny, but cute enough to appreciate the talented and charming cast, along with the material that provided a smattering of laughs. “Basketsball” initially scored a 6, but one re-watch later and this week’s rating was bumped up a notch. One of those episodes definitely better the second time around.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?