There’s nothing quite like a good mobster story, especially when they integrate it into the latest episode of Elementary. “All in the Family” gave us a super-engaged Watson (Lucy Liu), ready to take down the mob with her extensive and almost fangirl-like knowledge. There were also new developments on the broken relationship between Sherlock (Jonny Lee Miller) and Detective Bell (Jon Michael Hill).
- Director: Andrew Bernstein
- Writer: Jason Tracey
- Cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn, Jon Michael Hill, Paul Sorvino
Episode Title: “All In The Family”
Detective Bell (Hill) has moved to a quieter office setting in the police department far away from his previous job, but the sudden discovery of a body pulls him right back in. While Sherlock (Miller) and Watson (Liu) go right on the case, they quickly try to solve it in order to prevent a possible mob war. At the same time Bell is having difficulties being in the same room as Sherlock as they continue to run into each other during the investigation.
- Watson Knows Her NY Mobs: I would like to clarify that she only knows extensive knowledge of fictitious mobs, not real ones. There are a couple moments from “All In The Family” where he makes a joke or two at her knowledge on the subject matter, but she shrugs it off as she gets them them closer towards the killer. In some ways Watson had a lot to do with Sherlock and the police solving the case. It’s always cool seeing her outsmart Sherlock here and there.
- Bell and Sherlock: By the midseason finale Sherlock and Detective Bell weren’t on speaking terms. Ever since then Sherlock’s been trying to push his way back into the picture, struggling to get Bell back at his old job. Why? Because Sherlock’s an extremely difficult man who wants to work with Bell more than anyone else. This led to a couple of interesting arguments. The key one was when Sherlock told Bell how much he admired his former colleague. By the end Sherlock’s words got to Bell, that along with his involvement in the recent case giving him enough incentive to get back to his previous job.
- Double Crossing: I’m always down for a good twist, whether it be for television or film. When it’s revealed by Watson, Sherlock and Detective Bell that there’s a mafia mole within the NYPD (Bell’s new boss!), it made for a sweet surprise. There was more flavor added when his close ties to the head mafioso showed that he was looking to rub him out. The NYPD came in the nick of time to get both parties before they blasted each other away.
- Underused Sorvino: Paul Sorvino has popped up in a number of random movies, one of my favorites being Goodfellas, so it was disappointing to see him get so little of screen time. That man is a gem!
“All In The Family” was a nice conclusion to the Bell/Sherlock story that gave us an entertaining mobster-related murder mystery. Again, it’s always great seeing Watson find an equal amount, if not more clues than Sherlock every once in awhile.
Elementary airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on CBS.
What did you think of this week’s episode?