Like many women, Mindy Lahiri’s New Year’s resolution is to get in shape. In the last episode of The Mindy Project she began dating Cliff the lawyer. So with that as her motivation, Mindy decides to wave goodbye to coffee cakes and says hello to pushups. In “Danny Castellano Is My Personal Trainer” we saw a different, less-confident side of Mindy, but also a lot more of her, if you know what we mean (wink).
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writer: Tracey Wigfield
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant,
Episode Title: “Danny Castellano Is My Personal Trainer”
In an attempt to get in shape before a weekend away with Cliff, Mindy convinces Danny to be her personal trainer. Meanwhile at the office, Peter finds himself in over his head when he has to act as managing partner while Jeremy is out sick.
- Body by Danny: Mindy hires Danny as her personal trainer in order to get fit for a weekend getaway with Cliff. Knowing that Mindy doesn’t respond well to direction, Danny starts to throw Hollywood references at her, as motivation. He puts Mindy in situations involving Leonardo DiCaprio, Anne Hathaway and Tobey Maguire, which actually help her through her work out. There are also a couple scenes where Danny accidentally sees Mindy completely naked. But their moments together are never awkward. It’s hilarious to watch them work, mainly because Kaling and Messina have such great chemistry.
- Jeremy’s Back: Back at the office, Jeremy puts Peter in charge while he takes a few “sick days.” At first, Peter’s eager to be the boss, but he soon learns that being Mr. Manager is hard work. So while he tries to handle all the chaos, Jeremy’s actually returning to his old routine of being a player. And honestly, we like him more that way. He’s much more confident and less whiny. We’re glad he’s back to being his old-self.
- “Sex without nudity? That’s the ultimate. Tell me more.” – Betsy
- “This isn’t a gym, this is where a villain in a Batman movie goes to prepare his body.” – Mindy
- “Do not yell at me, I do not respond well to anger. That’s why I can’t date any guy from Boston.” –Mindy
- Tinder Shoutout: Tinder is the hottest dating app right now. And it makes sense for Kaling to promote it on her show, after all, this is a series about finding love. But the way the characters went about it was awkward. We would’ve liked to see Mindy actually using the app, and not randomly praising it for no reason.
Jokes aside, “Danny Castellano Is My Personal Trainer” was great because it dealt with women’s body image issues. Kaling is one of the few successful ladies in showbiz who actually looks like the rest of us. We commend her for making an episode about what everyone is thinking. It takes guts to put yourself out there the way she did. Sure, Mindy and Danny had their silly arguments at the villain’s gym, but in the end, the episode ended with a great message.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?