With the holidays and the calendar flip now behind us, New Girl finally returns from TV vacation with a new episode, which features Jess facing a moment of career uncertainty.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Eric Appel
- Writers: Berkley Johnson
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Stuck in the Bar”
Jess and the gang flash back to their first jobs.
- Cold Open: A good scotch tasting to set the stage for the episode. Schmidt sure knows how to describe the delicate intricacies of an expensive glass of scotch.
- Coach: Working the stopwatch on Boogie Nights was funny. As was his scene when Nick and Schmidt decide to call him ‘Coach.’
- Schmidt: Busted out the funny NIH line (‘Nurse I’d like to Hug’) during his flashback to the ‘Fat Schmidt’ days selling Christmas trees and working as a candy striper.
- Nick: Seeing him in the scarf and nice haircut was almost as great as his quote to the guy (see below) in his law school class.
- Schmidt/End: Schmidt working that old Christmas tree selling charm at the close was fun to see – played nicely to wrap up the episode.
- Brian Posehn: Awesome cameo/scene by the funnyman when he busts out a sweet list of those who are ‘anti-future”: ‘print media, the Amish, railroad industry, karaoke machine owners….’
- The Quote: Nick: “Take it easy, guy to my right.”
- Jess: She totally should have taken the new job!
- Cece: Not liking this deal with her now working at the bar.
Feels like forever since we had a new episode. So it’s good to rev season 3 back up, but “Stuck in the Bar” was merely a decent return for the TV comedy. Oh, it had some aces moments, but not enough to merit a high rating, since that’s how we do things around here with the numbers and all. The plot, which connected to everyone, worked fine, but the episode never shifted into comedy overdrive, just sputtered along with enough charm and funny dialogue to keep us interested.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?