Nikita‘s final season continues to move full speed ahead. “Pay-Off” gave us the illusion of an endgame, only to have it pulled out from under us. Nikita and Amanda come face to face and The Shop gets shut down – or does it?
- Director: John Badham
- Writer: Albert Kim
- Cast: Maggie Q, Shane West, Lyndsy Fonseca, Aaron Stanford, Melinda Clarke, Devon Sawa, Noah Bean, David S. Lee
Episode Title: “Pay-Off”
Nikita learns that The Shop has placed a double inside the Pakistani Army. They plan to use him to infiltrate their missile control system. In an attempt to stop a deadly launch, Michael and Nikita encounter an ex-Division agent called Ramon. He was formally paralyzed, but thanks to The Shop, his legs are in working order. Meanwhile, Sam buddies up to Alex in an effort to scam her out of funds so he can pay his debt.
- The Shop Exposed: The group discovered The Shop is really a private military company called MDK. The mysterious Mr. Jones is their CEO, and because of his public persona, Nikita knew exactly who he was. He was hiding out at his company’s base in Dubai.
- The Shadow’s Been Hacked: Are we the only ones who got a kick out of Peller bypassing Birkhoff’s computer system? It was like child’s play. He effortlessly took down seven firewalls, and cracked his main password. It was so fast, Birkhoff himself was in awe.
- Reunions!: Once they arrived at MDK, Nikita apprehended Mr. Jones, Birkhoff reunited with his father and Michael rescued Madame President Spencer. We loved watching the President’s reaction when she realized Michael was Division, not CIA. Look lady, the CIA considered you a lost cause, don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Or in this case, saves your life.
- Best Laid Plans: While at MDK Amanda went rogue and decided to launch the missiles, against Mr. Jones’ orders. Nikita’s only line of defense was to destroy the building, therefore disarming the missiles. Supposedly, Amanda chose to die for her cause, but it wasn’t really her. Amanda had a double and the newly imprisoned Mr. Jones knew all about it. MDK was a front The Shop needed to shake and they did. We did not see that coming.
- Sam/Alex: Usually, Sam and Alex are the bane of this show’s existence. Thankfully, this episode showed some much-needed progress. Alex finally figured out that Sam’s reformed act, was just that – an act. He happily helped himself to her case of diamonds in order to pay off his loan shark. When he was off to get squared away, an assassin entered Alex’s hotel attempting to kill her. Sam came back and saved her at the last minute, but the hit man sold him out. He told Alex about how Sam was leaving the hotel with her suitcase and that’s how he new she’d be alone. While Sam was distracted, Alex swiped out the real diamonds with broken glass and put a tracking device on the case. Now she can follow his every move. We’re happy she smartened up. They’ve already destroyed the Owen character, there’s no need to make her one-dimensional as well.
“Pay-Off” was just that. It was a satisfying episode that wrapped up some loose ends, while leaving a larger one in play. Amanda and Mr. Jones are still at large.
Nikita airs Fridays at 9 p.m. on The CW.
What did you think of the episode?