In the latest episode of The Mindy Project, Mindy goes to a wedding and does what she does best: ruin it. But in “Wedding Crushers” she’s not alone. She gets a little help from one of her co-workers. Meanwhile, Danny’s younger brother Ritchie, played by the handsome Max Minghella, shows up in New York with an agenda that brings out the worst in Danny.
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writer: Jeremy Bronson
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant,
Episode Title: “Wedding Crushers”
Mindy’s philandering ex-boyfriend Josh invites her to his wedding, and in her haste for a date settles on Peter. He turns out to be an ideal companion until he makes one huge blunder. Danny’s brother Ritchie pays a visit and a has a big announcement to make.
- Brotherly Love: Danny’s relationship with Ritchie is totally endearing. Danny’s super proud of him, and he doesn’t waste a second letting everyone know that he loves him. This is a new side of Danny we’ve never seen, and we like it.
- The Wedding: It turns out that Peter is also a wedding-wrecker like Mindy. They head to Josh’s wedding, and at first they seem like the life of the party. But later, Peter gets caught having sex with the bride by the groom and Mindy! In the end, Mindy gives a speech, makes everyone hate her and eaves with cake on her face. Seriously, who needs a DJ when you’ve got Mindy Lahiri on your guest list?
- Escort Service: In a moment of desperation, Mindy calls an escort service to order a date for the wedding. Her main concern during the phone call was to prove to the operator that she only wants a date, not sex like other people.
- “Don’t you dare disrespect my pizza oven!” –Danny
- “Whoa! Cocaine is delicious.” –Mindy
- Daddy Issues: Ritchie reveals that his reason for visiting is because their dad wants to reconnect. This throws Danny for a loop, and he starts ranting about how much he hates his father. It’s no secret that Danny has serious daddy issues, but we don’t really know the story behind his father’s abandonment. Last night, we learned a little, but not enough.
- Morgan: Sadly, Morgan had very little to say this week. It would’ve been great to see him and Mindy at a wedding together, but alas, the writers chose to flesh out her relationship with the new guy (which is okay). At least we got to see Morgan’s hilarious reaction to Danny knowing that his little brother’s gay.
“Wedding Crushers” was great from start to finish. Just when you thought the whole thing was getting predictable, the writers threw us a curve-ball. Danny’s relationship with his brother was also noteworthy because it showed us another side of the character.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?