Into the woods they go on the Thanksgiving-themed episode of New Girl.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Max Winkler
- Writers: Josh Malmuth
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Thanksgiving III”
The gang’s survival skills are tested when Nick and Jess take them camping for Thanksgiving.
- Into the Woods: The Thanksgiving in the woods plot was unexpected, but it was good to move the gang out of their element. “Camping?! “Like we’re animals?!”
- Coach: Delivered some of the more humorous one-liners in the episode, especially during his scenes opposite Schmidt.
- 96 Beers, Warm: The set-up to the Thanksgiving plot wasn’t so bad. Coach questioning Nick’s manhood in the open was funny. Nick’s description of George Washington hunting cats was wonderfully bizarre.
- Winston: Actually enjoyed how not excited he was about camping. Also loved his quick comment about no one letting him have a say, which went right into the part about the pottery seminar. “Craziest mugs…”
- Schmidt and Hat: Both were funny. Schmdit’s ‘mindset of a squirrel’ routine was great. “My scapula!”
- The Quote: Winston: “I’m not hunting. The only hunts I want is Bonnie or Helen.”
- The Other Quote: Nick: “Smells fresh – enough.”
- Nick: Even with a few good laughs provided, he annoyed.
Oh, there was much to laugh about, but the comedy was subtle, a series of amusing moments that weaved in and out of a mostly bland plot. “Thanksgiving III” had a nice, low-key vibe to it, even with Jess running through the woods like a mad person after eating that awful fish. There was more reinforcement of the Nick/Jess romance, plus some possible movement in Coach’s pursuit of Cece; looks like Schmidt finally realized it was time to move on and let Cece go. Had to have been the hat.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?