In the latest episode of The Mindy Project, Schulman & Associates go up against the midwives again. This time, the Deslaurier brothers play the race card, and accuse Mindy and her co-workers of being bigots. But “Mindy Lahiri is a Racist” was hardly about racism, and more about tolerance in the workplace. But don’t worry, things didn’t get too serious.
- Director: Alex Hardcastle
- Writer: Jeremy Bronson
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant,
Episode Title: “Mindy Lahiri is a Racist”
One of Danny’s patients is a mom blogger, whom he invites to write about Schulman & Associates on her website. Unfortunately, she’s actually a white supremacist that paints the practice in a racist light. Desperate to control the situation, the team hires PR guru Priscilla (Jenna Elfman), who gives Danny media training, and ends up seducing him.
- Violent Opening: Morgan decides to try out his arm-protection gear against a violent dog at the office. But his idea goes awry when it bites his crotch instead. Things only get worse for Morgan when Tamara accidentally shoots him with a tranquilizer while aiming for the dog. Poor Morgan, he just can’t win.
- Sexting Aftermath: Mindy is angry at Morgan for sexting Cliff. Since Morgan can’t bear the thought of Mindy being mad at him, he chases her down the street and lures her with a maple bacon doughnut. But just when Mindy begins to forgive Morgan, Cliff shows up and makes things awkward. Thankfully, Mindy’s a pro at this, so Cliff just ends up feeling weird.
- Mindy’s ‘I Am Not a Racist’ Speech: Mindy’s speech about not being a racist was hardly enlightening, but we’ll admit it was pretty funny, especially when she proudly reveals Danny’s sex life. In her mind, the idea that Danny has slept with women of all races means he’s definitely not a racist.
- “I am Indian, I cannot be racist.” –Mindy
- Racism Topic: It’s become obvious by now that whenever the midwives show up, there’s going to be trouble. It’s not that we don’t appreciate the presence of the Duplass brothers (they’re great), but this topic felt very contrived. The whole thing felt like an excuse to skip over the sexting incident.
“Mindy Lahiri is a Racist” was a fluff episode. Mindy’s sexting was barely discussed, and her relationship with Cliff (or Danny) didn’t propel forward at all. The only one who seemed to get anything out of this episode was Peter. He’s now a senior partner, which is good because he’s a funny guy.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?