Enough with all this Nick and Jess stuff – the latest episode of New Girl is all about Coach and Cece – and a sad Schmidt.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Nicholas Jasenovec
- Writers: Ryan Koh
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Werewolf”
Jess is tasked with keeping a frantic Schmidt occupied inside the loft, as Coach and Cece go out on a first date.
- Coach: His tough guy act with Cece to hide his nervousness produced some humorous moments. Ordering the pretzels at the Sparks game was one of those moments.
- Jess: She delivered some key laughs, specifically singing Niel Diamond’s “Cracklin’ Rosie” to Schmidt.
- Winston: The cat thing has been played out for weeks, but Winston was great at the bus driver’s apartment. So much bologna.
- Love Couch: Schmidt working that leather couch was sure something to see. The man is depressed.
- Schmidt: His brief scene with the pretty girl at the bar was great. As was his comment to Jess prior to when he sees her with a flip phone: “She’s either poor, or a time traveler.” He also had a funny scene at the dessert shop.
- Coach/Schmidt: Their awkward, high-fiving scene at the beginning was very funny. Episode highlight! “Date that thang!” “That first-class ass is sitting in Coach tonight…”
- The Quote: Winston: “Meet some women. Human women.”
- The Other Quote: Schmidt: “It’s good for Cece. It’s good for Coach. It’s good for America.”
- Nick: Wasn’t asked to contribute much to the episode, wasn’t really missed.
- First Date: A Sparks game? Really?
The Coach-Cece first date storyline provided a few good moments, but it mostly offered a prime chance to spotlight the personal hell Schmidt is going through having to watch the two of them together. He delivered some zingers from the start, even when his all-nighter with Jess started to lose some steam. Good episode. Not great, but shined enough to merit a high score. So far so good with the Damon Wayans Jr. hiring.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?