If you enjoy the comedy stylings of Damon Wayans Jr., then you will be happy to know he is back on the latest episode of New Girl. In fact, he will remain as a ‘special guest star’ throughout the remainder of the season.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Trent O’Donnell
- Writers: Matt Fusfeld, Alex Cuthbertson
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever, Damon Wayans Jr.
Episode Title: “Menus”
An overabundance of Chinese food take-out menus left at the loft’s front door is the catalyst for an interconnected series of adventures for Jess and the guys.
- Coach: Damon Wayans Jr. is back, and is going to stay back for what’s left of season three. Things are also set up for a Coach-Cece dating plot, so that should be fun.
- Schmidt, Alone: His sadness at being left out of all the hi-jinks across the hall produced some good laughs, especially when he hears the workout music and begins dancing – in between cleaning the kitchen. The Roberto Bengni line wasn’t great, but good.
- Brian: Not sure who played Brian, the owner of Hop Fu, but he was funny.
- Funny: That was Jess’ reaction to Brian calling her gorgeous. Her expressions were great.
- The Way Schmidt Pronounces ‘Chinese Food’: Just might be the best part of the whole episode!
- School: Love the part when Jess tells the little girl at school she is not legally allowed to touch her.
- Winston: There was a lot of Winston falling down, all of it funny to watch.
- The Quote: Schmidt: “Did I leave my Oakland Raiders yamuka over there?”
- Bum Coffee: Schmidt’s scene with the homeless man at the cafe was just so-so.
- Nick/Food: Something about Nick interacting with all that Chinese food throughout the episode was annoying.
Not a bad episode, especially if you love Damon Wayans Jr., who returned as a special guest star, and will continue returning for the remainder of season three. Would love to know how and why the decision was made. Not saying his addition is bad, far from it, but there’s a big difference between having him back for one episode and essentially drafting him as a new, full-time cast member. Does the show need such a cast shake-up? His being there doesn’t alter too much, but for sure we see the writers have set the stage for Coach and Cece to start a little something. And that could be interesting – especially where Schmidt is concerned.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?