In the latest episode of The Mindy Project, Mindy learns that she’s too picky for her own good. Her co-workers make her realize that she could end up alone if she continues to be so selective when it comes to men. In “Sk8ter Man,” an offended Mindy sets out to prove everyone wrong by dating a man child. He’s her complete opposite, and played by the fantastic Timothy Olyphant.
- Director: David Rogers
- Writer: Jeremy Bronson
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant, Timothy Olyphant, Alan Dale
Episode Title: “Sk8er Man”
Danny tells Mindy that she’s too judgmental of other people. So she makes it her mission to prove him wrong. She goes on a date with a wild and crazy skateboarder named Graham (Olyphant). Meanwhile, Jeremy receives a visit from his father (Dale), who seems to prefer Peter over his own son.
- Timothy Olyphant: It’s a shame that Olyphant doesn’t do more comedy because he’s absolutely hilarious. Graham is a lot like his character from Sex And The City from way back when. In season one of that show, Olyphant appeared in an episode called “Valley of the Twenty-something Guys.” He played Sam, a young man with a tongue piercing who knows all the important “b-people.” He was so charming then, and that same charm was on full-blast in “Sk8ter Man.” Seriously, his story about the pregnant mermaid was to die for.
- Mindy’s Change-Up: Mindy’s not exactly a serious adult. She may wear scrubs to work and deliver babies for a living, but when it comes to relationships, she still has a lot to learn. Still, she’s not exactly the adventurous type, so seeing her take a chance and date someone different made for some good times. Mindy’s dating experiences are always special, and full of laughs.
- “Did you see that? That’s how good I am at sex.” – Graham
- “My body is very attracted to your body, but when you speak, my brain gets angry.” – Mindy
- “You should think about putting idiot on your forehead.” – Danny
- Daddy Issues: It was only a matter of time before someone at the practice showed signs of “the daddy issues” (because sitcoms love this topic, just look at New Girl). Unfortunately, it’s Jeremy who gets stuck with the matter, and lately he hasn’t been that engaging. The problem with this storyline is that it’s beyond predictable. Jeremy’s dad shows up at work, where he meets Peter. He immediately takes a liking to him, and it makes Jeremy jealous. The trio goes out to dinner, and poor Jeremy is ignored by his dad. Can you guess the ending? Jeremy and Peter get in a public argument and then make-up. The end. Snooze.
Though the storylines where a bit predictable, “Sk8ter Man” was a success thanks to Timothy Olyphant. His pregnant mermaid tattoo and obnoxious skater shorts made the latest episode memorable. Their next guest star has some big shoes to fill.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?