In this week’s The Mindy Project, Mindy tries to be one of the boys. She journeys to a new and dangerous place, determined to get her new associate Peter to like her (because she can’t bear it otherwise). Through a series of hilarious and fun fights, “Bro Club For Dudes” explores the unlikely non-romantic relationship between the two.
- Director: David Rogers
- Writer: Jeremy Bronson
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Adam Pally, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant
Episode Title: “Bro Club For Dudes”
Mindy’s excited to join the guys for a “boys’ night out” at MoMA, but quickly realizes she misunderstood their plans. They’re not going to the museum, they’re going to an MMA fight and Mindy couldn’t be further out of her element.
- Opening Scene: In the opener, Mindy finds all of the male doctors (plus Nurse Morgan) playing with toy guns in the office. Being who she is, Mindy starts to complain about them taking their job seriously, but Danny quickly shoots back that they’re doing it after-hours. This soon leads to a silly confrontation between Mindy and Peter, who, all the while, is shooting Mindy’s boobs with toy darts. This scene is everything an opener should be: Fun, funny, memorable and filled with great chemistry.
- Mindy Tries Being a Bro: Mindy can’t stand being disliked. So when she notices Peter doesn’t care for her, she tries to change that by becoming one of the bros. At first, she fails. She takes Peter to her favorite restaurant, a girly place that serves tea. Eventually, she learns that she needs to step outside her comfort zone. She goes to an MMA fight, where Peter is set to battle a guy who looks like “he guards the gates to hell.” When Peter is trying to get pumped up, Mindy tries to make him angry by notifying him that his ex is getting married. This sends Peter right into depression mode, but Mindy soon redeems herself. She steps inside the ring and knocks some sense into Peter. He still gets beat up, but gains a new friend in her.
- “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of Obama’s America.”–Peter
- “Hello 911, I’d like to report a death that hasn’t happened yet.” –Mindy
- “When I’m high on painkillers, your voice isn’t that shrill.” –Peter
- “I’m gonna call you new-car ’cause that’s what I really wanted.”–Tamara
- Morgan’s Crush: Morgan has a serious crush on Tamara, one of the nurses at the practice. This is the first time that this crush is mentioned, and it threw us off guard. It was hilarious seeing him fight Tamara’s boyfriend Ray-Ron (played by Josh Peck), but what confused us was that Morgan really likes Tamara and that’s never been hinted at before. Did we miss something?
“Bro Club For Dudes” was great from beginning to end. Mindy is such a high-maintenance girl, so seeing her try to be one of the guys was hilarious. By the way, we really like this new guy. He may be a jerk at times, but he definitely brings something new to the show.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?