The latest episode of New Girl combines numerous Michael Keaton references (hence the title, “Keaton”) and the sudden change in living arrangements for Schmidt.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: David Katzenberg
- Writers: Dave Finkel and Brett Baer
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever
Episode Title: “Keaton”
It’s Halloween! Jess throws a Halloween party at the loft. And lots of Michael Keaton stuff.
- Keaton: There were plenty of good Michael Keaton references throughout, but the best might have been Nick referencing the film “Clean and Sober” and noting that Schmidt watched “Multiplicity” 25 times.
- Movin’ Out: Not sure the Schmidt Moves Out plot-line that begins as the episode closes was anything special, but his reference to the Billy Joel song was funny.
- Young, Fat Schmidt: The flashbacks to kid Schmidt and college Schmidt produced numerous laughs – purely visual. That mustache Nick is rockin’ in college is just terrific.
- Winston: The ‘did he or did he not see the Truman Show” material was actually funny.
- Cheese: Specifically Fat Boy Cheese, eaten by Schmidt.
- The Discovery: The look on Schmidt’s face when he realizes the Michael Keaton emails are a hoax is great. Well, he actually thinks Jess and Nick hacked into Keaton’s email account, which is even better. But his face when he slowly opens the door… terrific.
- Letterman: Winston as Letterman looked funny, and the jokes written around it also were good.
- The Quote: Nick: “I’m a teller of stories.”
- Halloween: The party was a dud. The costumes were dull, except for Winston as Letterman.
- Batman: The dialogue between Cece and Jess about the Batmobile/Batman Mobile was NOT funny at all. Painful is a better word to describe their brief scene.
The big takeaway from a mostly ho-hum episode is that Schmidt is moving out – and right across the hall. So four becomes three, and now Schmidt has an entire loft to himself. Remember when Grace moved across the hall from Will? Good times. The roommate shake-up could open up some juicy plots, so we shall see. The Michael Keaton storyline wasn’t bad at all, but it did finally lose steam right about when Jess put on the Batman costume. But Schmidt asking Nick why Keaton would wear a costume from 24 years ago was funny, as was Nick’s reply that if he wore the outfit from “Clean and Sober” they wouldn’t recognize him. That was a definite highlight. Well done writers!
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?