For the most part, Mindy’s unapologetic about who she is, and by that we mean the girl who enjoys Katy Perry songs and rom-coms starring Rachel McAdams or Reese Witherspoon. But in the latest episode of The Mindy Project, Mindy tries to impress a guy by being someone she’s not. In “Wiener Night,” she meets a snobby writer who causes her to act more cultured than she really is.
- Director: Michael Spiller
- Writer: Mindy Kaling
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant
Episode Title: “Wiener Night”
Mindy hits it off with a journalist named Jason (guest star Ben Feldman), but he’s a bit snobbish and finds Mindy to be too mainstream. To show that she’s more cultured, Mindy invites Jason to Christina’s (guest star Chloe Sevigny) art show, where nude photos of Danny (Chris Messina) are on display.
- Pop Culture Queen: Mindy obviously a smart lady, but she chooses to listen to bands like One Direction, and watch shows like Real Housewives of whatever. Often times, this kind of behavior is annoying, but she makes it work like a charm. Plus, all of her pop culture references are hilarious and awesome.
- Naked Danny: Danny finds out that his ex-wife is exposing him to all of Manhattan. As much as he tries to hide the show, which features nude photos of him, from his colleagues, they all end up going to “support” him. It’s funny to see Danny deal with awkward situations like this, because he always takes himself too seriously.
- New Beginnings: “Wiener Night” focused on new beginnings. As sad as it may be, Casey wasn’t even mentioned in this episode, which means Mindy is finally moving on. She’s dating again and looking for love.
- Kevin Smith Cameo: Kevin Smith makes a hilarious cameo during the show’s opening, where he sits next to Mindy on an airplane. If you recall, Smith got into a feud with Southwest Airlines when he was deemed too fat to fly. Even though his “feud” is old news, it was a joy to see him poke fun at the situation.
- “I’m sorry sir. I am a petite Asian woman.” –Mindy
- “[I should] move to somewhere with no art. Like Iran. Or Utah.” –Danny
- The Inevitable Boyfriend: Mindy’s lawyer friend makes another appearance. We can’t help but think this guy will eventually be Mindy’s short-term boyfriend. Even though he’s dating someone right now, the writers are making it obvious that he’s next on Mindy’s list.
In “Wiener Night” the writers moved away from past situations and focused on new plots. Mindy and Co. got dressed up and went out on the town. They had a great time, said some funny things and made great memories. Plus, that Kevin Smith cameo was awesome.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?