It’s prom time at McKinley High School. In the past, Glee‘s “prom” episodes have always been loaded with huge surprises, and “Tina In The Sky With Diamonds” was no different. With The Beatles tribute still underway, the New Directions got all dressed up and headed to their final high school dance. Elsewhere, Santana spent some time with guest star Demi Lovato, and Rachel received the best news ever.
- Director: Bradley Buecker
- Writer: Brad Falkchuk
- Cast: Chris Colfer, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Heather Morris, Amber Riley, Naya Rivera, Jenna Ushkowitz, Mark Salling, Matthew Morrison, Ashley Fink, Chord Overstreet, Harry Shum, Jr., Cheyenne, Darren Criss, Jayma Mays, Jane Lynch, Dean Geyer, Melissa Benoist
Episode Title: “Tina In The Sky With Diamonds”
- Carrie Moment: Glee paid an awesome homage to the 1976 horror film Carrie in last night’s episode. Dottie betrays Tina by joining the Cheerios’ plot to humiliate her during her coronation. As Tina gets crowned queen of the prom, Dottie pours a giant bucket of red slushie over her. Soon, everyone in the room begins to laugh and point at Tina, who shortly thereafter rushes out in tears.
- The Evolution Of Kitty Wilde: Kitty’s mean girl days are over, but that doesn’t make her less of an interesting character. Her arc on the show has been quite fascinating. She went from this selfish monster to a selfless and kind human who cares about those around her.
- Santana’s First Time Jitters: Santana experiences her first ever full-on lesbian relationship. Demi Lovato comes on the show as Dani, a 100 percent lesbian who takes a liking to Santana. There’s some serious chemistry between the two, and well, Santana hasn’t looked this happy since Brittany (so this is a good thing).
- Rachel’s Big Break: Rachel finally got the news she was waiting for. After doubting her talents and being jealous of Santana’s yeast commercial, she officially set to play Fanny Brice on Broadway. Seriously, we can’t wait for all of the emotional turmoil that will come along with playing this part; Rachel is the No. 1 drama queen and we can already see her walking off the stage a few times.
- “If you don’t vote for Tina you’re a racist.”–Dottie
- “Congratulations New Directions on accomplishing the impossible. You made me hate The Beatles.”–Sue
- New Mean Girl: Glee is addicted to mean girls. Now that Kitty isn’t as mean as she use to be, the writers have brought on Bree, played by Errinn Westbrook, to be the Cheerio bully who picks on the New Directions. Mean girls make high school shows much more fun, but isn’t it odd that all of Glee’s are basically the same? Just how many clever, fast-talking pretty girls exist in Lima, Ohio?
- “Here Comes The Sun,” The Beatles – Dani and Santana offer a romantic duet as the sun rises in NYC.
- “Get Back,” The Beatles – Kurt tries to cheer up Rachel with a highly choreographed performance of “Get Back.”
- “Something,” The Beatles – Sam falls for the new school nurse, and delivers a surprisingly smooth, cute and cool cover performance of “Something.”
- “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” The Beatles – A few of the New Directions perform a lively and hyper performance of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” at the high school prom.
- “Let It Be,” The Beatles – Kurt, Santana, Dani and Rachel sing and pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate Rachel’s big break; meanwhile the New Directions also perform “Let It Be” on the McKinley High auditorium stage.
The second half of Glee‘s Beatles tribute was so much better than last week’s episode. Not only were the performances superior, but there was actually some progress in the show’s plot. Santana is now dating a real lesbian; Rachel got her big break; Sam has a new lady friend; and well Sue’s got an evil plan-thing going with McKinley’s new mean girl Bree. “Tina In The Sky With Diamonds” was actually a proper tribute episode to one of the greatest music bands ever.
Glee airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on Fox.
What did you think of last night’s episode?