Mindy Lahiri may be the Ally McBeal of our generation, and for that reason, she can’t marry anyone yet. The Mindy Project thrives when Mindy’s love life is at its worst. In “Music Festival,” her perfect life as Casey’s fiancee takes a sharp turn in another direction. Plus, The National makes a sweet cameo.
- Director: Michael Spiller
- Writer: Mindy Kaling
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant
Episode Title: “Music Festival”
After returning from Haiti, Casey has an identity crisis and thinks being a DJ is his new calling. When Mindy and the office go to a music festival for their “work retreat” to see him perform, the substance-filled surroundings lead to disaster. Meanwhile, back in New York, Jeremy hires a new doctor, who saves the day during an emergency delivery.
- Music Festival: Summer might be over, but it’s never too late to go to a music festival. For their mini-work retreat, Mindy takes her coworkers to a nearby music fest, with headliners like The National and The Black Keys. The setting was perfect for her and her band of followers; each time these characters leave work, hilarious things occur, especially to Morgan. He ended up high on “special cupcakes” he got from a stranger.
- Danny’s Advice: Danny offers Mindy some worthwhile advice after she gets into a fight with Casey. He reminds her that she has to support his dreams, despite how silly they may seem. He may be in a rut (with his breakup and all) but he’s a pretty wise guy underneath.
- The New Guy: “Music Festival” introduced us to a new face, comedian Adam Pally. He plays a quirky young doctor named Peter Prentiss. Even though Pally didn’t spend a lot of time with Mindy, he got enough lines to make an impression, and a good one at that. He’s certainly a sweet new addition.
- “We are doing this because we live in a democracy and I am the king.” –Mindy
- “For your information, being a DJ is the number one growing American job… for children of celebrities.” –Mindy
- “You shouldn’t call girls dicks.” –Mindy
- The Breakup: Casey and Mindy are officially over. She got fed up with his identity crisis and dumped him, which wasn’t very nice of her, but let’s face it, it was the best way to go. We’ll miss Casey and his quirkiness, but Mindy needs to be alone. Sad to say, but she’s much funnier when she’s solo.
“Music Festival” wasn’t particularly funny, but it was a significant episode. We have a new doctor at the practice and Mindy is once again, single. That’s good stuff all around.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?