With Nick and Jess now full-on coupling, it was only a matter of guessing what episode of New Girl would break out the always enjoyable double date storyline. With “Double Date,” we have our answer.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Max Winkler
- Writers: Luvh Rahke
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever
Episode Title: “Double Date”
Thinking Schmidt has chosen to be with Cece, Jess and Nick invite him to go on a double date with them.
- Cold Open: Good stuff from crazy-acting Schmidt and single guy Winston.
- Winston: The spotlight was clearly on Nick/Jess and CeCe/Schmidt, but Winston had some fine comedy moments attempting to hold down the community table at the oh-so hip restaurant.
- Helmet Man: Enjoyed Nick going to the motorcycle helmet plan to keep from making eye contact with Jess. She just thought they were about to have no-kissing sex.
- Schmidt/Nick: The duo shared a good scene when Schmidt admitted to Nick of his two-timing.
- Bed Game: CeCe’s comment about Schmidt “stepping up his bed game” was funny.
- Car: Jess commenting about Nick’s ‘nerd stop’ at the stop sign proves she is not a safe driver! But that was a good line.
- Car 2: CeCe and Schmidt in the car, a speeding car, delivered some laughs, especially when Schmidt lies to CeCe about Nick’s cheating, and when he takes his hands off the wheel.
- The Quote: Elizabeth: “You broke my heart. Mail me my mouth-guard.”
- Dance: Nothing terrible this week, but Nick’s dancing (with motorcycle helmet on, no less) while Jess has it out with Schmidt (“You Long Island street trash!”) was annoying.
The number one takeaway from “Double Date” was now we see what will be Nick and Jess’ biggest relationship threat: Schmidt. Everything crumbled for Schmidt, which would have happened eventually, but because Jess was the one to instigate the double break-up with Elizabeth and CeCe, revenge is now his only solace. It sets up an interesting scenario between the trio, plus how Winston gets involved with the issue. And his cat, of course.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?