After Mindy’s wedding was abruptly cancelled in last week’s The Mindy Project, she and Casey opt for a long-distance relationship. Mindy felt like her life in New York would just snap back together, but she underestimated how essential James Franco‘s Dr. L was to the practice. In “The Other Dr. L,” she finds herself struggling to get what’s rightfully hers.
- Director: Michael Spiller
- Writer: Mindy Kaling
- Cast: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Zoe Jarman, Beth Grant
Episode Title: “The Other Dr. L”
As Mindy adjusts to her long-distance relationship with Casey, she also deals with the fact that she’s no longer the office’s “Dr. L.” Meanwhile, Danny has a new extracurricular activity following his breakup with Christina.
- The Whipped Cream Suit: In a hilarious opening scene, Mindy pays ode to the infamous Varsity Blues scene where Ali Larter strips down to a whipped cream bikini. During her first video chat with Casey, Mindy tries to heat things up by teasing him in a whipped cream one-suit, but unfortunately gets attacked by ants.
- Shot Challenge: In an attempt to get her name and office back, Mindy invites Dr. L to a shot challenge. They have to take shot after shot until only one of them is left standing. It was a great way to get Mindy’s self-esteem up, especially because the grand finale was Dr. L collapsing on the bar’s floor.
- The Kiss: Mindy’s relationship with Dr. L wasn’t sexual, but Kaling made damn sure her character got to kiss him before he left. Dr. L was barely conscious when Mindy leaned in to kiss him on the mouth. Now some would stress that she’s taking advantage of a drunk guy, and she is, but let’s be honest, she doing what anyone with a drunk James Franco in front of them would do.
- Cameos: From Bill Hader to Kris Humphries, the cameos were great all around. Hader was as obnoxious and hilarious as ever; and even though Humphries isn’t an actor, his role as a “divorced guy going through a hard time” was excellent.
- “Can I have another drink please? I’m very depressed.”–Mindy
- “You can hold your liquor like an Irish police captain.”–Morgan
- “I can’t fire him. He’s a godsend. You don’t return gifts from heaven.”–Jeremy
- “Remember I’m a sex therapist so the sex was amazing.” –Dr. L
- The Secret: All guest appearances have to come to an end, but Franco bowed out for a pretty silly reason. Drunk and all, he makes the mistake of sleeping with Danny’s ex-wife Christina, and shares it with Mindy. Perhaps it was a testament to how he doesn’t know Mindy at all (because she loves gossip).
“The Other Dr. L” was full of funny lines, moments and great cameos. Though we hate to see Franco leave, it’s great to know things will be back to normal next week.
The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?