New Girl isn’t exactly ‘new’ anymore, but as season three commences with “All In,” it’s quite obvious the Fox series has settled in nicely on the TV schedule as a go-to show for smart, quirky comedy. The season-opener sends Nick and Jess south to Mexico on a spontaneous romantic getaway.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Max Winkler
- Writers: Elizabeth Meriwether
- Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone, Merritt Wever
Episode Title: “All In”
After running away with Jess to a Mexican beach town, Nick gets into trouble with the authorities.
- Cold Open: The season premier opened strong, what with the new hot love/like action happening with Nick and Jess, plus the funny ‘Dutch hookers’ comment from Schmidt.
- Cup: Was that an espresso cup Schmidt was holding early on? Coffee cup? Wow – that’s tiny if that’s a coffee cup.
- Schmidt/Winston: The two shared some funny interplay – especially when Cece arrived.
- The Break-Up: Schmidt almost breaking up with both Cece and Elizabeth was the best of the night. His shoelaces/’straight trippin” comment to Cece was great, as was his chat with Elizabeth: “In a marketplace of ideas…” That is no way to start a break-up conversation! But very funny.
- Let’s Go: Enjoyable moment was Jess arriving at the loft and demanding Winston and Schmidt get “all the cash you have and Nick’s passport.”
- Paradise Nick: Nick’s desperate attempts to convince Jess to stay in Mexico forever provided some charming moments.
- Passionate Kisses: Plenty of Jess and Nick kissing, but the best of the affection moments was at the end, with the twosome making out in front of the loft door, as Schmidt and Winston look on – part happy, part sickened at the display of unbridled passion.
- The Quote: Schmidt: “We have this connection. It’s physical, it’s unhealthy.”
- Puzzled: Winston’s puzzle plot was the weakest of the three. That working hard on a puzzle moves him to sing is actually funny, but the puzzle joke fizzled somewhere in the middle of the episode.
- Kid Trouble: Nick’s scene offering fast advice to the kid on the beach for his wrist band was just so-so.
The big question following the opener of season three is just how long this Nick & Jess romance is going to last. One could argue that putting the charming duo together in the first place is asking for trouble. Insert here _____ your best TV show example of two characters who started dating and then everything went straight to hell. Nick and Jess both look very much ‘All In’ with the new romance, but no doubt the relationship has yet to be put through the gauntlet of the loft. It will be interesting, and funny, to watch Nick and Jess build a new relationship under the watchful gaze of Schmidt and Winston. Is theirs a story arc to last an entire season? Or will there be a push to end the foolishness and get back to the original dynamic of the quartet? No matter what happens, from here it looks like they can never go back to the way it was.
New Girl airs on Fox at 9pm (ET/PT) on Tuesday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?