The dome has always been a character in and of itself. But lately, it’s been displaying a more demanding and unique personality. In Under The Dome‘s “Speak of the Devil,” it gets angry for unspecified reasons and starts a crazy storm that destroys trees and playgrounds. But that isn’t the only chaotic thing happening in Chester’s Mill. Big Jim and Barbie also raise hell against Maxine, and things don’t end well.
- Director: David M. Barrett
- Writer: Scott Gold
- Cast: Mike Vogel, Aisha Hinds, Dean Norris, Colin Ford, Rachelle Lefevre, Natalie Martinez, Britt Robertson, Alexander Koch and Nicholas Strong
Episode Title: “Speak Of The Devil”
Big Jim turns the town against Barbie, and initiates a manhunt after the truth about his past is revealed. Meanwhile, Maxine makes it personal when she confronts Barbie’s closest ally.
- The Unlikely Alliance: When Julia gets unexpectedly shot by Maxine, Big Jim and Barbie form an alliance to finish her once and for all. Barbie warns Jim that they’re going to deal with the situation his way; he wants Maxine alive as a prisoner. Both head over to a warehouse, where Maxine and one of her goons surprise them at gunpoint. But Barbie outsmarts them. Before walking into their trap, he set up an alarm that would switch off all the lights inside the warehouse, thus giving him a chance to fight back. Barbie and Big Jim worked together to take Maxine and Co. prisoners. Big Jim and Barbie may not have the same morals, but they make a great team.
- Plenty of Surprises: People were being killed off left and right, Game Of Thrones-style. First, Julia gets shot by Maxine. Then, Big Jim kills Maxine and her silly goon, and attempts to gun down Barbie. The writers really went for macabre in “Speak Of The Devil,” and it worked because it was so unexpected.
- The Answer: The dome finally offers up some information. In a strange scene, the teens touch it and see a new vision showing Big Jim with a huge grin, bleeding from his heart and stomach. They also see themselves holding a bloody knife. Junior runs off, terrified by what he saw. But the other kids know the dome wants them to kill Big Jim (enter suspenseful music here).
- The Storm: While the storm added tension to everything that was happening, it didn’t really create any life-threatening situations. Angie and Junior thought they started the storm because they were arguing, but that’s not a good reason. After all, they’re hardly even a couple.
- The Twist: Even though there were a lot of surprises, the episode felt a little too perfect. Big Jim turned everyone against Barbie, and now he’s on the run. Big Jim pinned a whole bunch of murders on Barbie, and Linda just bought it. How can she be so naive? And why can’t Barbie try to defend himself? Also, it’s convenient to have this happen while Julia is in a coma, since she’s the only one that can debunk all of these false accusations.
“Speak Of The Devil” was full of surprises and action. The storm brought lots of chaos, but we’re finally getting some answers. The teens believe Barbie is the monarch, but before they get a solid answer, they’ll have to face Big Jim Rennie.
Under The Dome airs Mondays at 10 p.m. on CBS.
What did you think of last night’s episode?