Living with a secret is something Drop Dead Diva’s Jane knows all about. This week’s episode, “Secret Lives,” focused on other characters’ hidden agendas. Everything from Kim’s realemotions about her baby to a client with a career-changing secret.
- Director:David Grossman
- Writer: Amy Engelberg and Wendy Engelberg
- Cast: Brooke Elliott, Jackson Hurst, Kate Levering and April Bowlby
Episode Title: “Secret Lives”
Yet again, Owen and Jane team up. This time with him using her to impress the female owner of a baseball team he hopes the firm can represent. When Jane royally screws up the meeting, she jumps at the chance to represent one of the team’s players in a murder trial to win back their favor. Meanwhile, Kim, lets her feelings about Parker and their baby cloud her judgement in a case. How very un-Kim of her.
- Owen Stops the Guilt Trip: He may not be ready to forgive Jane , but Owen has finally dropped the overt attempts at breaking her spirit with guilt trips. That got old fast and was making him unlikable in a way he’s never been before. Jane is still bending over backwards to impress Owen (even going so far as representing a client she doesn’t necessarily believe in), but at least he’s cooled it with the woe is me.
- The Softer Side of Kim: Kim has always been one of the strongest characters on the show. She knows what she wants, she goes for it and doesn’t apologize. Now, pregnant with Parker’s child (while he’s off in Canada to be with his ex and son), Kim is finally showing cracks. But true to the character, the cracks don’t result in tears or breakdowns, they result is a rededication to her job. When Kim projects her own emotions onto the case of a client, she digs the woman deeper and deeper into financial trouble before finally finding a loophole that fixes everything. The resolution might be a little trite, but it was a great arc for Kim regardless.
- Legally Blonde Throwback: The biggest secret life of the episode is that of Jane’s client, a pro ball player accused of murdering his girlfriend. Luckily he has an iron clad alibi: She wasn’t his girlfriend. She was a beard and he was actually with his boyfriend all night. Unfortunately, he’s not willing to out himself to clear his name. The whole situation is very reminiscent of the plot of Legally Blonde, in which a famous exercise guru refuses to disclose her rock-solid alibi (getting lipo suction) to clear her name in the murder of her husband.
- Stacey’s Pregnancy Decisions: Stacey continues to have very little to do in the plot, despite her decision last week to become a mom. She spent this episode looking for potential sperm donors and reverted to season one Stacey, basing the decision only on looks. It’s a funny, light sub-plot, but completely undermines her speech about having given so much thought to her decision. In the end, she decides to wait on the pregnancy, at least for another ovulation cycle.
- Grayson Gets Pathetic: Every time Grayson gets his heart broken, he goes for the first pretty girl he can find, this time hitting on Kim’s new secretary in a manner that would result in a sexual harassment suit in most law offices. Even though she initially rebuffs him, they end up making up and making out. In Diva land, only one of Jane’s suitors is allowed to be at all likable at any given time.
Drop Dead Diva is always strong with its legal plots, but at this point in the season, it would be nice to see a little more development of the characters’ personal storylines. The series loses points for setting up a great Stacey plot and then immediately knocking it down, and for having no clear direction for Jane’s love life.
Drop Dead Diva airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on Lifetime
What did you think of this week’s episode?