Smashed director James Ponsoldt made a splash at Sundance again this year with his coming-of-age dramedy The Spectacular Now. Critics loved it, and some even compared it to works by the great John Hughes. A24 has finally released a full-length trailer for the movie, and it’s quite spectacular (see it below). This week also brought us some big news about the upcoming adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey. Universal Pictures finally decided on a director, and they went with a very cool lady! We also have updates on Prometheus 2, Cinderella and Netflix’s Hemlock Grove. All that and more below.
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Gets Director: Nowhere Boy director Sam Taylor-Johnson has landed the coveted job as director to Fifty Shades of Grey, the adaptation from Universal Pictures. The story follows the relationship between 27-year-old billionaire Christian Grey and college student Anastasia Steele. There’s no official release date for the movie yet, but we predict it’ll be sometime next summer. Source: Deadline
- Prometheus 2 Updates: Transcendence writer Jack Paglen will pen the script for Prometheus 2, Variety reports. Ridley Scott will return as producer, but it’s unknown whether he’ll direct again. However, Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are expected to return. Plot details have yet to be revealed, but Scott has said that the sequel will have less connections to Alien than the original.
- Netflix Renews Hemlock Grove: Netflix has renewed Hemlock Grove for another season. THR reports that there will be a second season, and that Charles “Chic” Eglee will be added as showrunner and executive producer. Eli Roth, who ran the first season, said that “Netflix members love the potent combination of sexy monsters, mystery, and the dark family soap opera that ended with a huge twist,” and that “season one was just a warm up for what [they] have in store for in season two.” The show stars Famke Janssen, Bill Skarsgard, Landon Liboiron, Freya Tingley, and Dougray Scott. Expect season two to stream sometime in 2014.
- Helena Bonham Carter Joins Cinderella: Helena Bonham Carter is going from the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland to Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother in, well, Cinderella. /Film reports that the actress will “play the iconic role helping [Lily James] fall in love with the prince (Richard Madden) in spite of the Wicked Stepmother (Cate Blanchett).”
- Leonardo DiCaprio Raising Glasses: Martin Scorsese‘s The Wold of Wall Street debuted this week, and Vulture took notice of something: DiCaprio is always raising glasses. So the site put together a history (via GIF) of the actor raising glasses. Do take a look (it’s mesmerizing).
- The Spectacular Now Trailer: And now the trailer for The Spectacular Now, starring Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley. The film tells the story of Sutter, a party boy who falls in love for a nerdy girl. Spectacular Now did great at Sundance, and you’ll get to see it August 2.
- Berberian Sound Studio Poster: While Berberian Sound Studio is in theaters now, we’d still like to share with you this awesome new porter featuring Toby Jones. It’s quite excellent… The film is also available on VOD, just in case it’s not playing near you.
- IMAX Poster For Riddick: IMAX has released a poster for Riddick, the next film in the Furyan Chronicles, which brings back Vin Diesel as Richard B. Riddick. The film hits theaters September 6.
That’s the end of our round-up for this week. Keep checking back at ScreenCrave for more entertainment news and features.
What are you excited for?