Scarlett Johansson is ready to make a career change. The actress has announced her directorial debut, where she’ll be tackling a work by Truman Capote. Also, IFC released a neat illustrated poster for David Lowery‘s Sundance hit Ain’t Them Bodies Saints. We also got our sticky little hands on Tobias Funke’s sizzling audition reel, plus Netflix released 12 new photos for the upcoming season of Arrested Development. All that and more below.
- Scarlett Johansson To Make Directorial Debut: Scarlett Johansson’s directorial debut will be titled Summer Crossing, which is an adaptation of Truman Capote’s novel of the same name. The story follows a “17-year-old debutante in 1945 New York City, who decides not to join her family on a trip to France and instead stays in the city and starts a romance with a Jewish parking lot attendant.” Source: Vulture
- Michael Pena To Reunite With David Ayer: Michael Pena has joined David Ayer‘s Fury. The actor and director previously worked on End of Watch together. Fury is set at the very end of World War II, in April 1945. The film follows the battle-hardened Wardaddy, who commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany. Pena joins a cast that already includes Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf and Logan Lerman. Source: ComingSoon
- Chloe Moretz Joins The White Circus: Chloe Moretz and her Hugo co-star Asa Butterfield have been cast in Terry Gilliam‘s dark fairy tale The White Circus. The film is an “adventure-romance that takes place on a snowy New Year’s Eve, when a young pilot crashes his plane into a war-torn town on his first mission,” where he falls in love with a cabaret singer. The film is due to start shooting next February. Source: Variety
- John Slattery To Direct Philip Seymour Hoffman: Philip Seymour Hoffman will lead John Slattery‘s directorial debut, alongside Christina Hendricks. Vulture mentions that the film is an adaptation of God’s Pocket, a novel by Pete Dexter. The story focuses on a man who tries to coverup an accidental death, but has his privacy invaded by a nosey columnist.
- Into The Woods Adds More To Cast: The cast of Rob Marshall‘s Into The Woods keeps growing and growing. This week, Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhaal joined the film, along with Emily Blunt. Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep roundup the rest of the cast, for now. The film is based on Stephen Sondheim‘s 1987 Broadway musical.
- Tobias Funke Audition Tape: Here’s Tobias Funke’s sizzle réel, courtesy of series narrator and producer Ron Howard.
Photos & Poster:
- Ain’t Them Bodies Saints Poster: Here’s a neat poster for Lowery’s Ain’t Them Bodies Saints. The film stars Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara. IFC is releasing the pic on August 16th.
- New Arrested Development Images: Netflix released a set of 12 photos for Arrested Development‘s fourth season. Just as a reminder (though we doubt you need one), the new season will premiere May 26th!
That’s the end of our round-up for this week. Keep checking back at ScreenCrave for more entertainment news and features.
What are you excited for?