As the end of the season draws near, Revenge makes its final stand. “Engagement” has Emily slip Daniel’s ring back on her finger, and with it, all the complications you could imagine. As she climbs back in bed with the family that ruined hers, someone from her past puts themselves on the line.
- Director: John Terlesky
- Writers: Elle Triedman and Salle Patrick
- Cast: Emily VanCamp, Madeleine Stowe, Gabriel Mann, Nick Wechsler, Henry Czerny, Josh Bowman, Christa B. Allen, Ashley Madekwe, Connor Paolo, Barry Sloane, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Seychelle Gabriel, Maggie Mae Reid, Jessica Tuck
Episode Title: “Engagement”
Both Emily and Aiden struggle with her engagement, while Jack learns more than he can handle. Meanwhile, Conrad works to combat his slipping poll numbers.
- Takeda’s Truth: As we suspected, Takeda didn’t just pop onto the scene to out Aiden. Emily and Aiden’s mentor has a vendetta of his own, and his prey is The Initiative. It was foolish of us to disregard his assistance as a mere tribute to justice. Unless Aiden’s in a giving mood we’ll never learn his true objective; though Emily’s paramour knows what Takeda was after, he silenced his tutor with a knife through the throat.
- Reckless Endangerment: Aiden is not only rapidly unraveling, he’s imploding. As if killing Takeda wasn’t enough, he enlists Nolan to drain the Grayson’s hidden funds to end Emily’s quest. That anyone would make a move on Emily behalf, or do anything without her approval is baffling—especially Nolan. Now that Daniel knows Aiden’s true parentage and he used his code to empty the Grayson’s account. Aiden has become a liability. Hopefully, Emily will take Takeda’s advice and rid herself of her burden. The real question is whether Barry Sloane will remain on the show. In recent weeks his character has become increasingly useless. We could be looking towards a resurgence but it seems more like an ending.
- Resilience: Never forget: Victoria is most dangerous after she’s been stung. Not only did we discover that she paid off her first born with $5 million, she erased all traces of his existence thanks to the Fa1c0n. The mere suggestion that the post of Governor could do irretrievable damage to Conrad’s health prompted her to record the current Governor’s wife’s confession and splash it across the news. Her most impressive coup was the acquisition of Jack Porter. First, she toyed with him, giving the knowledge that Emily gave up everything to be with him. Jack claimed to be impervious to her manipulations, he’s already outed Conrad as the man who ordered his late wife’s death.
- Fa1c0n Rising: The Fa1c0n’s tip that Carrion can’t be enacted without her measured hand felt like a crock. When Manhattan went dark after Aiden drained the Grayson’s account we thought the two might be married. Though it’s unclear whether that’s anywhere near possible. It stands to reason that Edith bested Nolan, and if she can do that from prison, there’s no telling what she can accomplish.
- Anything Will Do: Charlotte is pregnant, in just enough time to keep her and Declan from traveling to college. That is, assuming she doesn’t fall down some stairs or get rid of her unborn bundle of meh. Still, a little screamer is always a possibility for drama. Also, we can’t put our finger on this girl Regina. Right now she’s the most intriguing thing the kids have around them. We can’t believe she and Declan were trapped together by accident. Perhaps some revelation will happen there? Or maybe this will amount to another tedious turn of events.
- “Hey, you know why you’re supposed to bury a politician 100 feet down? Because deep down they’re really good people.”—Declan
Obviously, the next stage in The Initiative’s plan for terror is moving front and center. There’s a pregnancy abounding, but the real intrigue is what will happen with Jack. Emily may have tied her ship to Daniel, pledged her love for Aiden but Jack’s the man her heart beats for. If he can provoke a confession out of her, we’ll be playing an entirely different game next season.
Revenge airs Mondays at 9 p.m. on ABC.
What did you think of this episode?