In this week’s Elementary, Sherlock’s determination to find Moriarty grows in “A Landmark Story.” We’re getting closer to the truth but the main characters, and part of the episode’s story, is alienated as a result.
- Director: Peter Werner
- Writer: Corinne Brinkerhoff
- Cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn, Vinnie Jones
Episode Title: “A Landmark Story”
Sherlock’s (Miller) obsession with Moriarty continues as a series of murders lead to his identity. In order to find out more information he leans on Moriarty’s former right-hand man Sebastian (Jones) which does more harm than good.
- The Quest Continues: The show’s doing a fine job tantalizing us the Moriarty reveal. Towards the end of this episode we got a slight description, a possible picture and a voice to “M.” It’s a lot more than what we’ve been given in the past. We’ve still got a few more episodes and we highly doubt we’ll be seeing him next week. Regardless, they’ve been handling the mystery in a fantastic way.
- The Mind Games: Sherlock and Moriarity are mental equals. This makes their games all the more deadly. In “A Landmark Story” it was great to see Sherlock ready to pull his hair out as he so desperately tries to figure out more about Moriarty. If this is a taste of an ongoing dance between Sherlock and Moriarty, bring it. We can’t wait to see it.
- Sebastian Moran: Vinnie Jones is a cool actor. When they first brought him on as Moran we knew we were in for a treat. He went from a suspect to Sherlock’s informant. It’s a shame he didn’t last long in the storyline, because he was a fun character to watch.
- Weekly Mystery Thrown To The Side: We love the intrigue of figuring out who Moriarty is, but at some point the murder mystery was pushed to the side. Granted, it wasn’t all that interesting, but it’s they could have pumped it up a bit. Also, almost all the characters from Sherlock’s universe took a backseat, even Joan to a degree. If this is their way of showing how this Moriarty obsession takes over his life, it’s working.
Moriarty’s gradual reveal has turned into a fine story arc, but at the expense of plot B. Regardless, next week’s episode will be a doozy as we find out more about the late Irene Adler.
Elementary airs on Thursdays 10 p.m. on CBS.