“Still” is the ultimate shipper episode of Castle. The Caskett relationship is tested to the max when Castle’s willing to risk his life for the chance to save Beckett.
- Director: Bill Roe
- Writer: Andrew W. Marlowe and Rob Hanning
- Cast: Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic, Jon Huertas, Seamus Dever, Susan Sullivan, Molly C. Quinn, Tamala Jones, Allan Louis
Episode Title: “Still”
When the team raids an apartment, Beckett steps on a bomb triggered by her weight. She must stand still until it’s deactivated. If that’s not bad enough, it’s also linked to a timer. Castle stays with Beckett and they reminisce, while the precinct searches for the deactivation code. Gates learns of Castle and Beckett’s relationship and confronts them.
- Clipping and Shipping: Clip shows are difficult terrain. They can be highly unimpressive when used as a tribute to a show’s history or to regain viewers interest. But we’re pleased with these clips because they’re an homage to the fandom accompanied by an original score from Robert Duncan. It’s as if the crew made a compilation of their favorite moments and tied it to a case.
- Things We Already Know: They didn’t resolve the who-liked-who-first conversation, which is fine because we already knew Beckett loved Castle’s novels before they met. They’ve both been gradually growing closer for quite some time, making things equal and balanced for Caskett.
- Just Getting Started: We’re glad this episode was switched with “The Squab and the Quail” because the continuity makes more sense. All the loose ends that have been bothering us came to a conclusion. What will happen if Captain Gates finds out they’re dating? When will she stop calling him “Castle” and address him on a first-name basis? Where are they headed in their relationship?
- All the Small Things: The bomb is set for 30:47. Many might recognize the 47 as a reference to another bomb-themed episode from last season “47 Seconds.” Another detail we really liked is the framework around the show. We open with Castle treating Beckett to lattes in bed, and end with Castle bringing store-bought coffees to her after the crisis.
- In The Team They Trust: Castle stays by Beckett’s side, refusing to leave her. It’s a great compliment to the various times they’ve stood by each other during tense moments. Castle’s undeniable trust in the team’s ability also comes through.
- Resurfacing: The compilation of favorite quotes throughout the years was a nice touch. Specifically, the repeating of them during real-time.
- Playing for Keeps: This episode is great! Our only concern is that coming episodes can’t top it. We could see this as the 100th entry or even the season finale.
- Castle: “Who’s going to be your bomb buddy?”
- Beckett: “Okay, fine, I did have feelings for you when we first met. I couldn’t stand you!”
- Castle: “Apparently I was irresistable.”
- Beckett: “Richard Castle, you are under arrest for obstruction of justice.” Castle: “You forgot making you look bad.”
- Castle: “Do I look like a killer to you?”
- Beckett: “How shallow are you?” Castle: “Very.”
- Beckett: “That?! That was just called survival, Castle, we were huddling for warmth.” Castle: “Cuddling?” Beckett: “Huddling!”
- Castle: “I was distracted by your dizzying array of hairstyles over the years.”
- Castle: “You know any tricks?” Beckett: “I do this one thing…with ice cubes.”
- Beckett: “I can’t help it if you get off putting things in my mouth.”
- Castle: “You’re very good at bossing me around.”
- Castle: “Well, that’s just because your legs are so close to…your…butt.” Beckett: “Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that.”
- Beckett: “It’s going to be okay, right?”
- Beckett: “Castle listen to me-” Castle: “I’m not leaving.”
- Beckett: “There’s something I need you to do for me that I can’t do on my own.” Castle: “Get rid of your porn stash so your dad doesn’t find it?”
- Castle: “It’s because I was having so much fun playing cop!”
- Beckett: “Thank you, for being there.” Castle: “Always.”
- Castle: “As bad as the situation gets, we always find a way out.”
- Beckett: “It’s time to say goodbye.” Castle: “I’m not leaving.”
- Beckett: “There’s no regrets. All in all, I think we’ve had a great run.”
- Beckett: “Rick, I love you.” Castle: “I love you, too.”
- Beckett: “I wish I had someone and he could just be there for me and I could just be there for him. And we could just get through it together.”
- Beckett: “I almost died, and all I could think about was you.”
- Castle: “Kate! I love you, Kate.”
- Castle: “Yeah, I promised I’d leave. I didn’t promise I wouldn’t come back.”
- Beckett: “A one in one hundred thousand chance.” Castle: “While there’s still a chance, I’m not giving up.”
- Esposito: “What kind of mother’s going to call her son ‘Willy’?”
- Beckett: “Thank you for staying with me.” Castle: “Always!”
- Gates: “Oh, for heaven’s sake, detective, just kiss the man!”
- Gates: “Do you think I’m an idiot?”
- Castle: “What do you think?” Beckett: “I think we’re just getting started.”
“Still” is a tearjerker, comedy, and suspenseful episode all in one. There’s a nice balance of catering to the romantic aspect while still solving a case with twists and an interesting motive. We appreciate the details in Marlowe and Hanning’s writing, the great acting and Duncan’s great score.
Castle airs Mondays at 10 p.m. on ABC.
Did you recognize all the flashbacks? Let us know in the comments!