In last night’s Community the gang celebrated Christmas. They gathered at Jeff’s apartment for a party, but things took a dark turn when Malcolm McDowell‘s Professor Cornwallis showed up. “Intro To Knots” gave us much to think about like, how far would the group go to get a passing grade?
- Director: Tristram Shapeero
- Writer: Andy Bobrow
- Cast: Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Chevy Chase, Ken Jeong, Jim Rash
Episode Title: “Intro To Knots”
Jeff organizes a holiday party but Annie secretly invites Professor Cornwallis (McDowell), to get in his good graces. When it becomes apparent that Cornwallis intends to give them a bad grade on their joint History paper, the atmosphere deteriorates and the group takes decisive action.
- Professor Cornwallis: During his first appearance (in Alternative History of the German Invasion), Professor Cornwallis asks the study group, “Are you actually suggesting that a professor at Greendale would set up an elaborate campus-wide ruse just to teach seven students a lesson?” If you’re still debating the answer to that question, you can rest now. Yes, Professor Cornwallis would. He tied himself up, tried to pit the group against each other, while referring to moments in history. Though flawed, the storyline was filled with excitement, darkness and hypothetical questions. We also got to see McDowell in action. The writers actually took advantage of the actor and his character. Good for them!
- The Darkest Timeline: The reference to the darkest timeline was hardly necessary, but it added sweet nostalgia to the episode. However, now that it has been mentioned, we can’t help but think that it’s going to have something to do with Chang pretending to have Changnesia.
- “You’re f-ing us?” –Annie
- Where’s Pierce?: It seems like Chevy Chase is officially off the show. As a result, the writers keep giving poor reasons for Pierce’s absence. Last night, he wasn’t at the Christmas gathering due to “sensitivity training.” We get that Chase isn’t around anymore, but this needs to be addressed head-on, and pronto.
“Intro To Knots” started off a little weird, but Professor Cornwallis provided a cool, dark spin. A few things were a long stretch. We can’t imagine the group tying up a teacher to get a better grade – that’s just madness, even for them.
Community airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on NBC.
What did you think of last night’s episode?