Soon, wedding bells will ring on How I Met Your Mother, or at least we hope so. “Romeward Bound” had The Captain tempting Lily with an amazing opportunity. Barney and Ted get a surprising ally in their quest to see more of Robin’s wedding planner. All jokes aside, he has us a little worried.
- Director: Pamela Fryman
- Writer: Chuck Tatham
- Cast: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan, Bob Saget, Kyle MacLachlan, Mircea Monroe, Mario Di Donato, Robert Baxt, Jocelyn Osorio
Episode Title: “Romeward Bound”
Lily worries that if she accepts The Captain’s offer to live in Rome for a year Marshall will resent her. Barney and Ted obsess over a girl who hides her figure under a puffy coat.
- Redonkulous: Wedding planner Liddy’s body is so hot it deserved not one, but two action movie references. That’s probably the highest compliment Ted and Barney can pay any woman. Keeping with tradition, no matter how hard they work to be top dogs, Robin beat them out by crowning Liddy’s hidden gems Weapons of Bra Destruction. She even knows Barney well enough to know he paid Carl the Bartender to raise the temperature for Liddy to disrobe. Is there anything she can’t do?
- The Angst: Had Lily consulted her husband on her job offer, she would have known the life she imagined for him. It’s filled with the Italian Price Is Right, making pasta, and Marvin. The highlight was Marshall’s words of encouragement, spoken in the only Italian he could remember: “Come on bro’ don’t Bogart the Funions.” The beauty of it was all in Jason Segel’s facial expressions, body language and inflection. We know creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have a different format for season nine, and that Jason Segel was the last holdout for the final contract. If Rome means less Lily and Marshall to appease the actor, we’re not sure we can get behind that.
- Almost There: As cute as it was for Barney to turn up the heat on a heavily coated Robin, it did nothing to dispel the worries his behavior created. And although Barney knows Robin pretty well, Ted’s warning did hold some weight—no matter how accommodating and hilarious, not even scotch drinking, cigar smoking, WBD creating Robin is that cool. The exclusion of any insight on how Robin feels about the approaching wedding seems purposeful. We get it; the writers have to build up to that flashback in “FarHampton.” And the titles of the approaching season finale, “Something Old” and “Something New,” match up with the titles from Lily and Marshall’s nuptials, “Something Borrowed” and “Something Blue.” We just wish they didn’t have to worry us to get there.
- “Barney, this girl; has the Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol of bodies.”—Ted
- “Robin understands there’s one set of ball she can’t tie up with a necktie and lightly hit with a ping pong paddle. (points to his eyes) These balls!”—Barney
- “He took a week of Italian in college and the only reason he dropped it is because he had a conflict with being not stoned.”—Ted
- “Whatever she’s smuggling under there has to be thermo nuclear. I bet she has WBD’s. Weapons of Bra Destruction.”—Robin
- “Indiana Jones wouldn’t look at this body. This is a body that would melt a Nazi’s face.”—Ted
- “Robin, thanks to you I can now walk up to any girl and say whatever creepy disgusting thing I want and totally get away with it. I think I’m going to like being married.”—Barney
- “So how many times are you going to say no to your dream job? I’m just trying to plan my day.”—Marshall
“Romeward Bound” was an interesting way to set up for the end of the season. Giving Ted enough backbone to give Barney some advice on Robin was a good move. Especially since it showed there are still a few hard feelings there. We never expected The Captain to fit in so well; that “carry on” joke in the opener was gold. But if The Captain actually takes our favorite married couple away from us, we might not be so happy even if that means Marshall gets to keep that white suit.
How I Met Your Mother airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS.
What did you think of this episode?