Community‘s “Intro To Felt Surrogacy” can be summed up in two words: too cute. This episode was, more or less, an homage to The Muppet Show. There was singing, a balloon adventure, a Jason Alexander cameo and psychotropic berries.
- Director: Tristram Shapeero
- Writer: Gene Hong
- Cast: Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Chevy Chase, Ken Jeong, Jim Rash
Episode Title: “Intro To Felt Surrogacy”
The study group takes a wild balloon ride that crashes into the woods. They end up spending quality time together alongside a friendly mountain man. Plus, everyone becomes a puppet.
- Puppet Show: This is the first time since Dan Harmon‘s exit, that the show’s taken a different form. The dolls were adorable, and looked like their real-life counterpart. Kudos to the writers for going all the way with the theme. They included singing, a balloon adventure, live-action cameos and broad humor. They also managed to keep the spirit of Community.
- The Singing: At first the singing felt completely out of place. The show has done musical numbers in the past, but one wonders if Harmon would approve of such a thing? Then again, this is a puppet show and that’s what they do right? Regardless, the songs were great.
- Shirley’s Secret: During their trip, the characters revealed their deepest, darkest secrets. Except none of them were actually that dark… except for Shirley’s. She shared her fear of Andre cheating on her again, and also thoughts that she’s a bad mother. Having Shirley own up to this gives her more depth.
- Study Group Bingo: It’s an ingenious game! Troy and Abed come up with Study Group Bingo, which basically mocks each character’s taglines, like Pierce calling things “gay,” and Jeff telling everyone to “stop” what they’re doing.
- “What happened is between us and Jesus, and Jesus don’t snitch.” –Shirley
- “We’re literally above the law. Jeff can marry any man he wants.” –Pierce
- “We need to split up into two groups, the survivors and the others. Where’s the manifest?” –Abed
- Other Secrets: As always, everyone overreacts about the secrets they “supposedly” shared. They avoid one another at school, thinking they’ve done serious damage. As it turns out, all of their private matters are just silly nonsense (excluding Shirley).
The puppet medium totally worked for “Intro to Felt Surrogacy.” Overall, this episode left us extremely entertained.
Community airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on NBC.
What did you think of last night’s episode?