This week on Cougar Town being bad never looked so good. “The Criminal Mind” was a tribute to the great John Hughes and his most beloved film, The Breakfast Club. But it wasn’t all fun and games—Andy and Travis run into man trouble while Grayson’s bad reviews send him into a tailspin.
- Director: Randall Winston
- Writer: Sean Lavery
- Cast: Courteney Cox, Christa Miller, Busy Phillips, Dan Byrd, Josh Hopkins, Ian Gomez, Brian Van Holt, Bon Clendenin
Episode Title: “The Criminal Mind”
A few bad Yelp reviews weigh on Grayson’s mind, while Jules winds up in grocery store jail.
- Voiceover Nation: Cougar Town’s much advertised homage toThe Breakfast Club was delivered with the show’s usual measured hand. Unlike the film, last night’s voiceovers punctuated every characters thought. Jules’ attempt to reclaim her youth by stealing from the grocery store is almost derailed by her chickening out. Luckily, Laurie’s stolen hair dryer lands the duo in grocery store jail with Bobby, who represents a long line of people that pretend eating food in the store isn’t stealing. Jules time in lockup gave her the confidence to live out her regrets. She also got Laurie to finally tell Travis how she feels. In turn, we were treated to a slightly altered final letter, Judd Nelson’s fist thrust via Jules’ hand, and the dance scene we all love.
- Princess Bridezilla: You should never Google yourself because online comments can toss anyone into a sea of insecurity. Laurie’s mention of her negative Yelp reviews did nothing to stop Grayson from checking his own. Using Grayson’s disdainful look to highlight his kinship with Ellie was timely. Over the seasons they’ve seemed more and more suited for each other, partially because of their mutual hatred for everyone other than themselves. Next season should be spent strengthening their bond. Maybe with Ellie teaching Grayson to hide his pools of judgment with a little more than a serial killer smile. Perhaps he can teach her how to use that thigh master while standing up—core strength can’t be the only secret.
- Sym-potence: We were right. In only a few weeks Travis became a lady killer. He’s not only slayed numerous girls, he’s already sick of them. Andy’s tendency to feed off his friend’s emotions made his quickie with Ellie impossible when his sympathy impotence flared thanks to Travis’s inability to get it up. Working through a problem that most guys go through helped Andy lead Travis back to his feelings for Laurie. In turn, it prepared him for her confession.
- “It was fun for a few months but eventually sport humping rand-s’s starts feeling a little empty.”—Travis
- “The only things you’ll ever regret are the things you didn’t do.”—Jules
“The Criminal Mind” wasn’t the bottle episode we’ve been waiting for but the parody was worth it. Travis and Laurie are inching closer together, and hopefully they haven’t strung us along for no reason.
Cougar Town airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on TBS.
What did you think of this episode?