Last night’s Community was devoted to a disease called Changnesia, which is exactly what it sounds like. As you may have gathered from previous episodes, Chang’s returned to Greendale as an amnesiac. In “Advanced Documentary Filmmaking,” Abed puts on his filmmaker hat and documents the different reactions the study group has to this sketchy illness.
- Director: Jay Chandrasekhar
- Writer: Hunter Covington
- Cast: Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Chevy Chase, Ken Jeong, Jim Rash
Episode Title: “Advanced Documentary Filmmaking”
The campus strives to get to the bottom of Chang’s memory loss. Dean Pelton gets the group to help secure a grant for further medical research. Abed films the activities for a documentary. However, Jeff suspects there’s more to Chang’s illness than meets the eye.
- Jeff’s Skepticism: Everyone fell for Changnesia pretty quickly, except Jeff (obviously). He couldn’t believe that a maniac who tried to kill him and his friends could change. So, to expose Chang’s con, Jeff pretends to help the group get the grant. Unfortunately, his plan fails and he turns into the incredible hulk. He goes ballistic when Chang keeps his cool. You guys know there’s nothing better than an out-of-control Jeff Winger.
- Troy and Annie Pair Up: Annie has been sinfully underused this season. That’s why we were so happy to see her step up last night. Her and Troy made a fantastic detective pair. Every time Annie said something, Troy contradicted her and then smiled. We’d love to see them investigate more mysteries together.
- Britta’s Theory: Britta was hilarious. Her theory about Changnesia was priceless. We just love how she takes herself so seriously, but no one else does.
- Documentary Style: Though “Advanced Documentary Filmmaking” is small potatoes to “Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking,” we appreciated Abed’s return to the director’s chair. We like that the new team of writers is staying true to the series’ experimental form. It shows that they care about the fans.
- “I’m going to go get a sandwich, which unlike Changnesia is real.” –Jeff
- “Chang didn’t sleep with a stripper. He tried to kill us. Why does everyone keep forgetting about that?” –Jeff
- “Jeffrey I trusted you and believed in you… and fantasized about celebrating over mimosas with you.” –Dean Pelton
- Changnesia: We’re not sure what Chang’s return means yet, but this episode suggests he’s up to no good. Everyone has fallen for his act now, even Winger. Is Chang’s plan to finish what he previously started? Who was on the other side of that final phone call? We definitely don’t want a repeat of last season, but for now, the mystery behind Kevin’s disease seems to be working.
“Advanced Documentary Filmmaking” is far from a perfect episode, but managed to stay true to the show’s ways. We’re glad Annie got some jokes in, as well as Britta. Although, we don’t know where this Chang story is going, the mystery is intriguing.
Community airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on NBC.
What did you think of last night’s episode?