Last night, Girls revealed some juicy information. “It’s Back” roped in Hannah’s parents, who highlighted a surprising detail about her life. Meanwhile Marnie, who’s still dressing like a magician’s assistant, revealed her true passion.
- Director: Jesse Peretz
- Writer: Lena Dunham, Steve Rubinshteyn, Deborah Schoeneman
- Cast: Lena Dunham, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, Allison Williams
Episode Title: “It’s Back”
Hannah tries to hide mounting anxiety about her book from her visiting parents. Marnie’s stunned to learn that Charlie’s started a successful app company. And Adam meets a boisterous woman who persuades him into dating her daughter, Natalia.
- Adam’s Blind Date: Adam is notorious for his honesty. When he’s not around Hannah, he’s actually a pretty cool person. At AA, he reveals how his feelings for Hannah shifted over time. He didn’t take her seriously at first, but her persistency made him change. That’s why he was so rattled by the break-up, and thus needs support to keep him from making a mistake (like getting drunk). Later, during a blind date, we see he’s not as awful as Hannah made him out to be.
- Ray’s Pep-Talk: Marnie’s told that Charlie hit the jackpot by selling an app to a business tycoon. Depressed and jealous over his success, she whines to Ray about how life isn’t fair. Then Ray gives her the best pep talk in the world. “What is your dream?” he asked. “I want to sing,” Marnie said. This sudden new passion threw Ray for a loop, but he went with it. He told her, with a hint of mockery but overall kindheartedness, to do it. She can’t continue dressing like a magician’s assistant for much longer.
- Shoshanna Gets Sleazy: You may ask yourself, why is Shoshanna cheating on Ray with a doorman? She’s awful! This’s not who she is! At first, we hated her for it. But then again, Shoshanna adores Sex And The City. She’s just doing what the show has taught her to do. If you watched SATC, you’d remember that Samantha once fooled around with Charlotte’s doorman. This is Shoshanna’s ultimate homage. She always wanted to be a Samantha, but her virginity prevented her from being sleazy. Her act is justifiable, though we’re going to hate seeing her and Ray break up.
- “I think it’s creepy for a college senior to go to a college party.” –Ray
- “You’ll know me I’m very tall and semi-dashing. You’re mother said you have great teeth so I’ll be looking at you like a creep.” –Adam
- “She’s at a party navigating her way through the fulls of pure conformity.”
- Hannah’s Disorder: For the first time since the show started, Lena Dunham revealed that her character has OCD. It’s great to learn new facts about these characters (like that Marnie can sing), but how did this piece of info go untold for so long? It doesn’t make sense that someone as dramatic as Hannah would skip such a detail about her life.
Even though “It’s Back” was all over the place, it was an enjoyable 30 minutes. We didn’t appreciate being in the dark about Hannah’s OCD, but maybe it will explain some of her obnoxious behavior.
Girls airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO.