Cue wedding bells on Parks and Recreation. This week, the appropriately titled episode “Leslie and Ben” features our two lovebirds who say to hell with getting married in May (what about sweeps?!), and instead decide to have a spontaneous ceremony at the black tie gala that began last week on “Emergency Response”.
Check below for the full review….
- Director: Craig Zisk
- Writers: Alan Yang, Michael Schur
- Cast: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Aziz Ansari, Jim O’Heir, Retta, Aubrey Plaza, Rob Lowe, and Chris Pratt, Nick Kroll, Alison Becker, Mo Collins
Episode Title: “Leslie And Ben”
Leslie and Ben are getting married, and have to cram months of planning into two hours.
- Ron Swanson: He punched Councilman Jamm, and looked cool doing it. He also demonstrated how he made the rings for Leslie and Ben. He danced – a little. He was the only one at the wedding party (besides Leslie and Ben) not passed out drunk. He shared a sweet moment with Leslie in the hallway. It was just a damn good episode for fans of the legendary Ron Swanson.
- Wedding: The story-line involved everyone, and the payoff was excellent. The entire wedding sequence at City Hall was A+. Also funny is everyone’s expressions and groans upon hearing Leslie’s vows clocked in at 70 pages and she might have a back-up copy on her desk.
- Donna: She has a beautiful voice, and the writers picked a perfect episode to showcase her lovely vocal skills.
- Chris: He and Ben shared a nice moment when he gives him a copy of the assignment letter that sent the duo to Pawnee – for what was supposed to be only 8 weeks.
- The Entire Ethel Sequence: Very funny, especially her date who asks, “is it robbers?”, when April and Andy are at the door asking her to sign the marriage license.
- Best Line: Jerry: “Just a dab.”
- Best Line II: Ron: “People who buy things are suckers.”
- Best Moment: Ben’s and Leslie’s wedding vows. Superb!
- Best Moment II: Had to include the tender moment between Ron and Leslie before she gets married.
- Only that the episode had to end!
One might be surprised the wedding was dropped into a late-February episode, as opposed to the season finale – which this episode felt like. This is better. The wedding planning story-lines might have become annoying over time. But now super-cute couple Ben and Leslie are husband and wife, and the fast-paced route they take throughout “Leslie and Ben” to get the part with the “I do’s” delivered excellent comedy, and a whole lot of sweetness. The writing is first-rate, the cast shines, and it’s a season favorite. The last few minutes, during the actual ceremony and party afterwards, is so very very good. Doesn’t matter if 1 billion people watch this show, or 6 people, it is still one of the best comedies on TV.
Parks and Recreation airs on NBC at 8:30 pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?