Last night’s Revenge was the episode we’ve all been waiting for. “Sacrifice” reveals who met their end on The Amanda. After waiting all season, did it live up to our expectations?
- Director: Stefan Schwartz
- Writers: Mark B. Perry and Joe Fazzio
- Cast: Emily VanCamp, Madeleine Stowe, Gabriel Mann, Nick Wechsler, Henry Czerny, Josh Bowman, Christa B. Allen, Ashley Madekwe, Connor Paolo, Margarita Levieva, Barry Sloane, Dilshad Vadsaria, Michael Trucco, Burn Gorman, Ed Corbin, Maggie Mae Reid, Maya Goodwin
Episode Title: “Sacrifice”
The Graysons put on a brave face as they face their newest troubles, while Jack and Amanda’s honeymoon turns into a doomed journey.
- Three For One: Last week, we rightly assumed that Nate would meet his end on The Amanda. But in a surprising twist Jack was mortally wounded and Amanda also floated into the murky waters of death. Yes, Amanda is finally gone, and the moment was as sad as it was liberating. What a journey it has been to pity, then hate, then sort of like, and kind of miss one character. Amanda’s death will stoke the fires of Emily’s need for vengeance again, but it also left a large loose end in play. With her passing went the location of Emily’s laptop.
- The Devil You Know: The Initiative is like the multi-headed dog Cerberus; cut one down and another will appear. The Graysons should know by now that they’ll never be rid of The Initiative’s sinister henchman. Mr. Trask made quick work of Aiden and Padma’s demands. We doubt it’ll take long for him to realize The Porters already set sail on their ill-fated honeymoon when Helen was murdered. As long as Trask is as resourceful as his predecessors, the Graysons cloak and dagger will unravel beautifully.
- Acknowledgement: Charlotte’s extended absence from Grayson Manor was addressed. That is, Victoria said the words, “It’s the end of the summer and it seems we’ve barely seen you,” and that was supposed to be satisfactory. Considering her mother’s visit to The Stowaway was only a guise to plant Helen’s phone under the newlywed’s bed, it calls Charlotte’s worth into question. Even Ashley’s presence served a purpose this week; without her warning, Emily never would have started the search that led her to realize that Jack and Amanda were in danger. But other than filling a spot on a stage and serving as Carl’s constant babysitter Charlotte fills no void on the show.
- While The Cat’s Away: Aiden might not have been the best babysitter of Padma. While they share the distinct displeasure of having loved ones abducted by The Initiative, a man who barely pulled himself from the brink might not be clear headed. That’s probably why he manipulated Padma into demanding proof of her father’s life from the people you should never make demands to. If that pathetic, “No,” she uttered at the realization that her actions cost her father a finger was all the anguish she could drum up, count yourself lucky Padma’s not in charge of your fate. If nothing else, this dalliance proved that pairing anyone with Padma is a recipe for boredom.
- “Conrad your gall never ceases to repulse me.” –Victoria
- Nate Ryan: “Who the hell are you?” Emily: “You’ll never know.”
“Sacrifice” finally answered the season-long question, and ended the run of a once despised character. And while it’s impossible to ignore the impact of Amada’s death and the loss of the laptop, we feel like we’re in a holding pattern. When Revenge returns in March, it needs to switch gears. The constant waiting is enough to ruin the momentum of any show.
Revenge airs Mondays at 9 p.m. on ABC.
What did you think of the episode?