Last night, it was Valentine’s Day on Cougar Town. “Restless” was all about Jules’s insomnia and the Torres family’s usual drama. A few of our favorites were lucky in love, but one couple was left out in the cold.
- Director: Courteney Cox
- Writer: Austen Faggen
- Cast: Courteney Cox, Christa Miller, Busy Phillips, Dan Byrd, Josh Hopkins, Ian Gomez, Brian Van Holt, Bob Clendenin
Episode Title: “Restless”
Grayson gets hurt playing hockey while Jules has trouble sleeping. Elsewhere, Ellie is less than pleased about Andy’s Valentine’s Day plans.
- Things Ellie Would Never Say: Andy and Ellie’s plot came to an unusual and predictable end. Ellie didn’t appreciate Andy’s affection, or his use of 10 years’ worth of Valentine’s sex coupons. Laurie made her realize her insensitivity and blah blah blah. The star of their recycled story was Laurie’s spontaneous invention, Things Ellie Would Never Say. The highlights: “I care about your opinion.” “Tell me more about your kids.” “I’m wrong.” “Can I drive you to the airport?” “I want to make you happy.”
- The Crown Jules: Her morning drinking was likened to Anna Nicole Smith, along with her belief that taking one sleeping pill makes you a druggie. Thank goodness Jules succumbs to peer pressure so easily, otherwise we wouldn’t have seen her sleeping-pill-tomato-cage-herky-jerky-hit-with-a-shovel face. Or see Grayson, Andy, and Tom attempt to mimic the look. The guys even took turns alluding to Jules’s 90-year-old brick layer hands.
- The Jules Rules: At first, we shared Grayson’s incredulity. Why should he follow a set of guidelines crafted by Bobby, a man who was a horrible husband? Wouldn’t the rules lead Grayson down the same unsuccessful path? We were prepared to vilify the idea, until Travis revealed that Bobby made the book after he and Jules divorced. It led us, and Grayson, to the realization that allowing one of your friends to marry your ex is no easy feat.
- The Upside Down Heimlich: Bobby’s Jules Rules should be exalted, but his Favorite Position Flip book is in a class all its own. Equally innovative and creepy, the illustrations were amazing.
- Valendud: It’s been a while since we’ve seen anything on the Laurie-Travis front. If they’re going to be shoved aside, we should at least be distracted by their new paramours. But all we got was a brief mention of Laurie sitting on an iPad for Wade, and a brief snippet of Travis’s ruined galactic date. The episode wasn’t a total loss for either; but led characters to resolutions. Laurie served as Ellie’s conscience and Travis gave Grayson the insight to cherish Bobby’s gift. It just feels wrong that the two youngest characters are without love on Valentine’s Day.
- “Look at her shake. It’s like when your foster dad goes to the fridge for a beer but you know he drank the last one five minutes ago.”—Laurie
- “That reminds me of the time I did none of that and still got laid.”—Grayson
- “Are you ready for a close encounter of the Travis kind?” –Travis
- Laurie: “Well hate sex can be awesome.” Ellie: “Did you learn that from every guy that ever slept with you?”
- “If my face doesn’t heal I’m going to have to work on my personality.”—Grayson
“Restless” was a Valentine’s episode that dialed down the mush. It made the show’s Ellie and Andy problem all the more obvious. We get it, he’s loving and she’s harsh. But their plots are starting to become redundant. It’s time for the Torres family to get new problems.
Cougar Town airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on TBS.
What did you think of this week’s episode?