Is there anything Cougar Town can’t do? “I Should have Known It” was all about change for two men from the group. As we watched our favorite characters grow, we couldn’t stop laughing.
- Director: Michael McDonald
- Writer: Melody Derloshon
- Cast: Courteney Cox, Christa Miller, Busy Phillips, Dan Byrd, Josh Hopkins, Ian Gomez, Brian Van Holt, Bob Clendenin, Ali Wentworth
Episode Title: “I Should Have Known It”
Tom’s new girlfriend makes Jules and Laurie suspicious. Ellie teaches Bobby manners and Grayson and Andy form a husband pact.
- Kissing on the Lips: 10 to one, you’ve seen someone kiss someone other than their significant other on the lips. And yes, that’s completely gross. Only Cougar Town would take the full-on friend kiss and shine a light on it.
- Red Flag: All it took for Tom to become a proper member of the crew was a gold digging girlfriend. While forgiving his dirty naps and gross Cul-de-sac fan fiction seems a bit much, think of everything we were treated to in the guise of protecting him. We got a new name for wine, chocolate cake, saw the birth of Balcony Can, and learned how to do a Latin Kings handshake.
- The Cleaner: The homage may have been short-lived, but one could ignore Ellie’s parody of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction. Take note, no one dragged out this scene or languished in the moment, which allowed the brief allusion to be exactly what is should have been.
- Get Real: After last week’s episode reintroduced the concept of civilizing Bobby, they actually followed through. Making Ellie, or E-Train, his leader was brilliant because it birthed an utterly necessary and realistic admission of Bobby’s short-comings. Ellie’s desire to whip him into shape directly addressed our concerns about Bobby’s stalled character. Let’s hope the progress continues.
- “Cousin stuff can be hot. It’s like they instinctively know what turns you on.” –Laurie
- “Did you finally get visited by the nut sack fairy?” –Ellie
“I Should Have Known It” is another in a string of winning episodes for Cougar Town. This week, was all about welcoming Tom and working on Bobby, all things that should have occurred ages ago. If the show continues at such a breakneck pace, Laurie and Travis will be together before you know it.
Cougar Town airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on TBS.
What did you think of this episode?