With the busy holidays and New Year’s revelry finally behind us, The Office returns from its Thursday night TV hiatus with an episode titled “Lice,” which means, yeah, tonight’s show is about lice.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: Rodman Flender
- Writers: Nikki Schwartz-Wright
- Cast: Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Creed Bratton, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Paul Lieberstein, Oscar Nuñez, Craig Robinson, Phyllis Smith, Clark Duke, Jake Lacy, B.J. Novak
Episode Title: “Lice”
An office lice infestation catapults Dwight into action. Julius Erving guest stars!
- Jim’s Best Day Ever: It was nice to see Jim shoot hoops with basketball legend Julius “Dr. J” Erving, but the storyline felt half-baked. Perhaps there was more that didn’t make the cut.
- John Stamos: Clearly Jim feels bad that he is spending the day getting the first-class treatment with a superstar while Pam is back home juggling kids and lice. And from this we find out that Pam’s dream day is ‘go-karting with Jim Stamos,’ a funny line delivered nicely by Jim.
- Meredith, Bald: A very bald Meredith asking for a pack of Nicorette gum and a pack of Kools is so very Meredith. One might say she stole the show tonight. And hey, ‘no one is taking Meredith Palmer to the opera to meet the queen.’
- Creed: His “weirdo” remark to Pam was good.
- Meredith II: Her yelling “Shave your head!” to Pam was scary and funny and right back to scary again.
- That’s The Look: The look on Erin’s face when she had a peek at Pete’s body was excellent. It was quick, and it was genuine.
- Dwight: Two of the funnier moments of the night was watching the lice grenade blow up in Dwight’s face.
- Andy: Still MIA! Yes!
- Pam: Erin mistaking her for Meredith was funny, as was watching her take out the trash.
- Best Line: Angela to Meredith: “This is an office, not one of your bean-bag orgies.”
- Best Line II: Meredith, who just owned the episode, with: “I’m gonna take that freak to Bone Town before the night is over.”
- Val/Darryl: This storyline wasn’t necessarily bad, it just dragged on. Okay, it was mostly bad. Yes, watching Kevin air hump at the close was funny, but overall it was the weakest of the three plots.
- Erin: It’s not so bad that she was hiding from Pete at the end of the day, now definitely digging his vibe. But why hide? Why not embrace young love and get crazy? So this is only ‘bad’ because we’d rather she not hide, but jump to it and start dating New Jim/Pete.
On the shelf for a month, The Office returned with a decent episode, but nothing to hurry a walk to the water cooler the next morning. We get to see Jim in Philly doing the hip, start-up thing, nicely contrasting Pam’s day of hell: lice, mayo, being yelled at by bald Meredith. Surely Pam will end up in Philly soon enough. The rest of “Lice” had glimpses of excellence with a funny look here, some well-delivered dialogue there. But not a great episode. Still good to have the show back, especially since we are in the home stretch of the final episodes – ever!
The Office airs on NBC at 9pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?