If last week’s American Horror Story meandered on characters and stalled the season arc, this week’s is a turnaround. In “I Am Anne Frank (Part 2),” AHS: Asylum revealed one of its biggest mysteries: The identity of Bloody Face.
- Director: Michael Uppendahl
- Writer: Jessica Sharzer
- Cast: Zachary Quinto, Joseph Fiennes, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Lizzie Brocheré, James Cromwell, Jessica Lange
Episode Title: “I Am Anne Frank (Part 2)”
At this point, it’s no secret that poor Kit is not Bloody Face. If there were any seeds of doubt, this week’s episode mowed them down. “I Am Anne Frank (Part 2)” revealed Bloody Face in maybe the most horrific way possible.
- Bloody Face Revealed: Will the real Bloody Face please stand up? We’re looking at you, Dr. Thredson. While he comes through on his promise to bust Lana out of Briarcliff, the alternative is much worse. He’s a bit of an amateur furniture maker and his material of choice is human skin. When Lana realizes this, she excuses herself to look for an escape. Unfortunately, she ends up on top of a trap door to Thredson’s creepy torture chamber.
- Anne’s Lobotomy: The patient claiming to be Anne Frank, Charlotte, gets her due attention in “Part 2.” Her husband, desperate to have his “normal” wife back, authorizes a lobotomy performed by none other than Briarcliff’s resident mad scientist Dr. Arden. The result is mighty Stepford-y, but the sound engineering during the lobotomy scene deserves an award.
- Sexy Sister: Sister Jude is amazing. Of all the characters, she’s by far the most complex. She quickly jumps from stern and religious to sexy and drunk. Seeing the nun’s secret life in a sexy red dress could be ridiculous in the wrong hands, but Jessica Lange plays it to perfection.
- Kit Confesses: It’s hard not to care for Kit. He’s arguably the best guy in the asylum, even if that’s a faint compliment. When Dr. Thredson tries to help Kit accept responsibility for his actions by recording his confession to the Bloody Face murders (you know, so Kit can hear it played back), he goes for it. When that bites him hard in the ass later, it’s a little devastating. On the bright side, Grace is converted to an alien believer after seeing the creatures and Kit’s not-so-dead wife.
- STILL No Sister Mary Eunice: Sister Mary was in the background yet again, but teasers for next week imply the devil inside her will come out to play sooner than later.
“I Am Anne Frank Part 2″ changed the game, going for major reveals that pull the plot in new directions. It was truly an explosive episode.
American Horror Story: Asylum airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX.
What did you think of this week’s episode?