Every once in a while Elementary gives us an episode that lays the groundwork for an upcoming story arc. While “Flight Risk” isn’t particularly Earth-shattering, it’s a peek at how crazy Sherlock’s world truly is.
- Director: David Platt
- Writer: Robert Doherty, Corinne Brinkerhoff
- Cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn, Jon Michael Hill, Brian Kerwin, Roger Rees
Episode Title: “Flight Risk”
Sherlock (Miller) and Watson (Liu) uncover a series of murders tied to a plane crash on the beach. While they try to figure out who caused the plane to malfunction, Joan has other things to worry about. She continues to struggle to form a friendship with the still mysterious Holmes as his father arranges a sudden dinner meeting.
- Sherlock Re-Learning To Communicate: We continue to deal with a Sherlock Holmes who struggles to maintain a real friendship. He has his good weeks and bad weeks. The latest episode was one of the latter, topped by an awful prank on Joan. But in the process he secretly brings her closer. How? By introducing her to one of his closest “friends,” Alistair. He divulged a few things about Holmes that he wouldn’t normally disclose.
- Sherlock’s Father (Or Lack Thereof): We like the mystery of the father we hear about but never see. It’s the live-action equivalent of the elusive Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. Might we suggest his much-talked about father be reimagined as Mycroft Holmes? We’re kind of hoping so. That or Alistair is revealed be Mycroft. Hey, we’ll keep guessing until the cows come home.
- Sherlock’s Friend: We like the addition of Alistair (Roger Rees). Maybe he’ll become our in between guy who can bring Watson and Holmes closer? We’re curious to see how this new dynamic will work in future episodes.
- Our Murder Mystery: Wait, what’s going on? We’ve got another mystery that we can see the ending to a mile away? Yawn. Yes, we understand it’s necessary in keep things going in Sherlock’s world, but they should push the master detective away from his duties and deal more with his past.
- Murder Mystery Wrap-Up: We’re a bit tired of the big reveal in the interrogation room ending. It’s so simple, so clean cut. When you’re dealing with an intriguing plot B like we had this week, you kind of want the mystery to get swept under the rug.
We love where the show is going. “Flight Risk” was a great launching pad that’s sure to open up a beehive of Holmes’ secrets.
Elementary airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on CBS.
What did you think of this week’s Elementary?