Not many boat-themed episodes in The Office collection (see: “Booze Cruise,” season 2), but tonight’s episode, titled “The Boat,” promises a popular guest star, and a secret that might not be so secret much longer.
Check below for the full review…
- Director: John Krasinski
- Writers: Dan Sterling
- Cast: Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Creed Bratton, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Paul Lieberstein, Oscar Nuñez, Craig Robinson, Phyllis Smith, Clark Duke, Jake Lacy, B.J. Novak
Episode Title: “The Boat”
The Dunder-Mifflin staff teams up for a prank on Dwight while Andy deals with a family meltdown. There is also a boat!
- Hey – It’s Josh Groban Again: The now cool and hip Josh Groban returns as Andy’s brother. The plot with Andy taking charge now that his family has hit the skids was so-so, save for the fact that Erin is headed directly into the arms of new hire Pete. Yes!
- Kevin: From the cold open and all the way through to the end, Kevin and Oscar brought the intrigue and the laughter! Oscar’s affair with the Senator is paying off in plenty of humor as the secret is getting closer and closer to a reveal. One can only assume that once Angela finds out the truth, she will end up with Dwight. Right?
- Darryl: The short comeback to Erin about selling a Jiffy Lube happened to be quite funny.
- On-Air: It worked, for the most part, Dwight’s fake radio interview – nicely masterminded by Jim, Nellie, and Pam. We also were able to hear the name ‘Dwight Snoot’ spoken, which is nice. The storyline also proved that Nellie is at least %50 percent less annoying when doing a fake accent.
- Toby!: Still talking about his adventures as a juror. He wasn’t featured for long, but it was still funny.
- Best Moment: The Kevin bathroom montage was pretty great. Also, the super fast shot of Kevin in boxers and undershirt, along with Dwight, during his fake radio interview in the break-room.
- Best Line: Dwight: “They are not going to gotcha me.”
- The Boat: Not the entire episode, just the stuff about the boat. The ‘Andy Goes Boating’ plot was kind of boring, which is too bad, because it featured the likeable Josh Groban, who was woefully underused in the episode. We did see the beginning of the end of Andy’s relationship with Erin, which is fun, but the story was wobbly from the start. And who just bolts from work for weeks to go sailing to the Caribbean?
The good news is that Erin is totally going to dump Andy in favor of New Jim/Pete. That is going to be awesome. “The Boat” produced some good laughs, which should always be considered a ‘win’ in regards to any episode of The Office post-Carrell. The ensemble remains very good, even when the material is so-so. But that’s not the case with “The Boat,” which managed to stitch together two solid plots, leaving only the part featuring Andy as the weak link this week.
The Office airs on NBC at 9pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?